Aftermarket guards?????

6 replies to this topic
  • BuddyK

Posted November 04, 2003 - 03:33 AM

I'm just thinking ahead, do these bikes really need any additional guards? IE radiator braces etc?
I will drop the bike. I'm way out of practice

• Big_D

Posted November 04, 2003 - 11:30 PM

I run a bunch of guards:

Works Connection radiator braces which are light and seem to do a great job in protecting them during a tip over.

Moose (rebadged Utah Sport Cycle) skid plate instead of the plastic OEM one, it is the bomb :) I have hit BIG things with it and it just takes it.

Moose Hand Guards or "bark busters" which both save you hands in the woods if you misjudge but also save levers.

Works Connection Caliper guard, broke the OEM plastic one so I went aluminum.

Works Connection Frame guards, the screws in my Sidi Force Flex SRS boots were starting to rub on the frame so I picked up these. The Left one is great, the right one needs to be about 2" taller to match the left.

Summers Racing Kiwi Case saver, lighter than stock, more coverage, and it looks cool.

OEM Shark fin and chain guide because I have not destroyed them yet.

I would say on the whole a good skid plate and some radiator braces is where I would start, and then add other stuff as you tear up stuff. And if you ride in the woods some good hand guards, the OEM flags seem to work OK for the wide open spaces of the desert.

Just my $.02 :D

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted November 05, 2003 - 08:49 PM

Guards are a cheap investment compared to replacing parts. Here is what I have:

Berg carbon fork guards
Baja Designs skid plate
Baja Designs shark fin
Devol radiator guards
Devol front disc guard
SRC Kiwi case saver
SRC fork brace, mudskins, and fork guards
Tusk D-Flex bark busters
Works Connection frame guards

That should add a couple of pounds to the pig or maybe it is more like a M1A2 Abrahams Tank!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ffsclarke

Posted November 05, 2003 - 09:10 PM

Good ? I don't beleive in going to overboard bracing these bikes up. I have radiator guards but don't use them because the plastic ones work well for sticks the radiators take a huge amount of abuse before they break anyway. I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars. I like the stock skid plate because it is light. The aftermarket ones can be very noisy. The stock one also slides along the ground better in a crash. I would save your money and buy a steering stabalizer instead. :)

• ffsclarke

Posted November 05, 2003 - 09:16 PM

Good ? I don't beleive in going to overboard bracing these bikes up. I have radiator guards but don't use them because the plastic ones work well for sticks the radiators take a huge amount of abuse before they break anyway. I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars. I like the stock skid plate because it is light. The aftermarket ones can be very noisy. The stock one also slides along the ground better in a crash. I would save your money and buy a steering stabalizer instead. :) P.S. I crash all the time your riding hard enough if you don't I haven't bent any discs my radiatiors are molded nicely to the bike. I do break levers once in a while though.

• Shock_Doc

Posted November 05, 2003 - 10:14 PM

I use my bike for pre-runnig my desert racing, and use a w/b skid and IMS shark fin. Wouldn't be in the desert without them.

• Rokatt88

Posted November 06, 2003 - 08:20 AM

I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars.

Hmmm... funny you should mention that! I have Tusk DeFlex hand guards on my XR650R and I took a little dirt nap last Sunday. The X-rays showed no sign of a break but man, my left hand and wrist got tweezed! :D Did you know that chicks dig Ace bandages??? :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.