Front brake what happened?

4 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted August 07, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Last time riding my front brake started losing pressure throughout the day and by the end I would squeeze it and it did nothing... I'm thinking of bleeding it but what would have caused this? Would it have had to leak out somewhere?

• Bandit9

Posted August 07, 2012 - 02:44 PM

The line could have been cut or smashed. Also look at both banjo bolts see if you see any leaking fluid. They may be loose or damaged in a crash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted August 07, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Weird I don't see any leaks, I filled it back up and its working good again :/

• Chengshin Ripper

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Last time riding my front brake started losing pressure throughout the day and by the end I would squeeze it and it did nothing... I'm thinking of bleeding it but what would have caused this? Would it have had to leak out somewhere?

Sound like it's time for a front brake master cylindar rebuild.

• GlennR

Posted August 08, 2012 - 04:02 AM

If the resevoir needs to be refilled you obviously have a leak "somewhere".

Make sure the connections are tight at the banjo bolts (where the brake line connects to the master cylinder & caliper) and the bleeder valve. Top-up the resevoir and bleed the line if it feels spongey. Firmly apply the brake and clamp it with a large rubber band (or zip tie, etc.) and place clean paper under the brake area and check for leaks.

If you are not loosing fluid, but do loose pressure then you have leaky seals in either the master cyliner and/or the brake caliper.

I'm no pro, but it's a very simple system that is all in plain sight, so you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out & fixing it.

Just go through it step by step, doing the simplest things first, like making sure all the connections are tight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.