What makes all the noise?

11 replies to this topic
  • Scott07

Posted August 05, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ok, so I have an 06 Yz450f 50th edition. Its clean and running good. Just makes a knocking/pinging sound. I've been told this is normal. It runs perfect and I have heard other bikes of the same year or a year newer and they makes the same sound. Now I just want to know what would cause all the noise? Are theses engines just loose but reliable? I am paranoid about it and I am used to a motor that sounds tight. I'm not trying to fix it, I just would like to know what causes it all. Thanks alot.

Also today while I was riding today I was listening very carefully to the bike. If I hammer on it wide open like 3rd through 5th then come to a stop the noise is 15 times quieter for about 30 seconds. It makes no sense to me.

• Steel Panther

Posted August 06, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Imo the Aluminum frame and especially skid plate (if you have one) just amplify the noise. The engine probably just produces the right frequency of vibrations to bounce the sound around.

Edited by Steel Panther, August 06, 2012 - 09:09 PM.

• Scott07

Posted August 07, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Imo the Aluminum frame and especially skid plate (if you have one) just amplify the noise. The engine probably just produces the right frequency of vibrations to bounce the sound around.

I have a devol skid plate on it. It seems odd though, because some days its not as noisy as others.

• 559stan

Posted August 07, 2012 - 08:35 PM

If you bike is making a clacking noise then it's just right. Get a rock between the motor and skid plate and it gets really loud.

• TheBenzManE55

Posted August 08, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have a 2007 yz450f also and it is a very noisy engine. i was paranoid because i bought the bike used but ive got about 15 hours of ride time on it and still running great. I have also heard this "noise" is completely normal. maybe its in the transmission?

• Scott07

Posted August 08, 2012 - 08:30 PM

It's kinda like a piston slap noise. But seems to be coming from the bottom end. I listened using a stethoscope. I have checked the cam chain and tensioner, valves and clutch. Everything was perfect so I am not to sure of what it could be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cochlinfastestyaminwales:)

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:56 AM

its the yzf shuffle!!! i had mine in bits, renewed and checked everything that i thought it could have been but its just the way they sound so dont b put off !!!

• Nautical Miles

Posted October 19, 2012 - 04:39 PM

http://www.thumperta...98#entry4428698

..... i think everyone new to the bike thinks, or asks the question. the link is located in the common mod and question thread sticky.

• Hcenteno21

Posted October 20, 2012 - 01:31 PM

I agree, I was a bit worried, when I first got my 07, but same exact noise from friends. Mine is more of a piston slap noise.

• Family Man

Posted October 22, 2012 - 09:42 PM

With a four stroke you hear the oil pump the cam chain, cams, valves etc. Noisy.Im betting what your hearing is normal. is your bike eating oil or smoking?

• SPLATT

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:51 PM

It's when it makes a single loud noise followed by silence that you have to be worried about. :D

Edited by SPLATT, October 23, 2012 - 06:51 PM.

• 559stan

Posted October 25, 2012 - 04:54 AM

It's kinda funny that the motor that last the longest makes the most noise. Clack clack clack clack clack

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.