Happy owner w/ new 09

11 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted August 05, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Nothing is broke and I have no questions. Just wanted to say how much I like the 09 I just bought in June. I highly recommend a full YZ exhaust or other brand, JD Jetting kit, Merge Racing AP spring, and Shorai battery. The motor runs so good and free, the bike is much easier to ride. Starts right up with 1 stab of the finger. Mid-range throttle response is awesome. I put the WR into XC mode. Removed Dual Sport kit and the lights. With the crazy lightweight battery, I'd guess around 10lbs was lost with no AiS, light battery, light exhaust, No Lights, No DS kit wiring, switches, horns, mirrors, fender bags, etc...bike feels much more flickable in tight single track. Turns much better, and I was doing things I never did on the 06....this is with only correct springs on the stock valving on the suspension. I can not wait to feel how good it's going to be once my SSS KYB forks are all tuned up by my guy. This bike will destroy single track one weekend, then legally DS across Colorado, the next. The 12' WR must be insanely good to be better than a fully set up 09 with the same fork. If so, I'm in for a treat in a few years when I pick up a 2012. For now though, I plan to race it this fall at 4 enduros and a few Harescrambles. I swore that I would never race a 4 stroke again for good reason, so we'll see how I feel about it come Xmas time. I finished in the Top 10 Overall B on the YZ250 at the last 2 Enduros I did last fall. I'm optimistic I can be just as competitive on this 09 WR w/SSS forks. We shall see.
XC Mode.JPG

Edited by Bandit9, August 05, 2012 - 10:29 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 06, 2012 - 03:31 AM

That's the beauty of the WR. She's a Jack-of-all-trades. :thumbsup:
Maniac

• crash279

Posted August 06, 2012 - 09:05 PM

How does the 09 power delivery compare to the 06?

• Bandit9

Posted August 07, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Well on my 06, I Had the stock exhaust and no AP Spring so it was ok, I'm sure they would perform very similiar if they had the same exhuast/carb mods. With those mods on 09, it runs like a YZ450 w/ wide tranny and mild cam. Which is very good for me.

Edited by Bandit9, August 08, 2012 - 07:51 PM.

• powderfish

Posted August 07, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Cool thats good to here I just a like new 07 for my daughter first ride on sat did a few mods nothing wild good luck racing

• upnorthbacon

Posted August 07, 2012 - 07:41 PM

I picked up a 2011 a few weeks ago and have one hare scramble and enduro on it so far. I came off a 2011 yz450, the power was just too much for my skill level. The WR is much smoother and less abrupt with slower handling, feels heavy but perfect for me. I read previously that if you disconnect the headlight it screws up something with the lighting coil, or runs the battery dead? I want to throw a number plate on mine for my races so I don't smash out the headlight, looks like they are pretty expensive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikkopuro

Posted August 08, 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi,

I just rode two cross-country competitions in this summer with my '08 WR and i also removed my head lamp and just put numbers instead. Now when I readed these warnings about burning coils or someting I am little bit afraid to do it again before clarifying what is the case. Anyway I didn't had any problems with battery or ignition coil. race was 2 hours and all the trainings top of that.

In my weight the WR feels very heavy. 72kg (160lb). Guess I need to do something for suspension, it still feels so soft. thinking about oil levels and preload adjustments, etc. Corners in MX track are just way too difficult to go fluently + without mention about jumps.

If you have any good experiences about JT jettin kits I would be glad to hear, because I my bike have habit to start stalling in slow corners when I trottle gas off fastly, specially when it is hot.

But, avesome bike: I don't have had any major issues or other worries about engine or anythig. I just runs well.

• Bandit9

Posted August 08, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

I just rode two cross-country competitions in this summer with my '08 WR and i also removed my head lamp and just put numbers instead. Now when I readed these warnings about burning coils or someting I am little bit afraid to do it again before clarifying what is the case. Anyway I didn't had any problems with battery or ignition coil. race was 2 hours and all the trainings top of that.

In my weight the WR feels very heavy. 72kg (160lb). Guess I need to do something for suspension, it still feels so soft. thinking about oil levels and preload adjustments, etc. Corners in MX track are just way too difficult to go fluently + without mention about jumps.

If you have any good experiences about JT jettin kits I would be glad to hear, because I my bike have habit to start stalling in slow corners when I trottle gas off fastly, specially when it is hot.

But, avesome bike: I don't have had any major issues or other worries about engine or anythig. I just runs well.

Your pilot jet is probably clogged or not the right size. I just posted about this is the jetting forum.

JD kit works for me. Merge AP spring is the ticket too. Like I said, those two things plus exhaust are must do's if you want performance.

I'm not even wasting my time on the stock forks, 06/07 YZF forks are going on. Forks are on the way now, still need to get them revalved and serviced though. Also still trying to figure out triple clamp issues.

No issues after about 6 hrs with battery so far with no lights, not really concerned. If it breaks I'll fix it.

Edited by Bandit9, August 08, 2012 - 08:02 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 09, 2012 - 02:12 AM

I've been using my '06 without the headlight all year so far. Roughly 50 hrs, and no issues.
Maniac

• kawi380

Posted August 09, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Nothing is broke and I have no questions. Just wanted to say how much I like the 09 I just bought in June. I highly recommend a full YZ exhaust or other brand, JD Jetting kit, Merge Racing AP spring, and Shorai battery. The motor runs so good and free, the bike is much easier to ride. Starts right up with 1 stab of the finger. Mid-range throttle response is awesome. I put the WR into XC mode. Removed Dual Sport kit and the lights. With the crazy lightweight battery, I'd guess around 10lbs was lost with no AiS, light battery, light exhaust, No Lights, No DS kit wiring, switches, horns, mirrors, fender bags, etc...bike feels much more flickable in tight single track. Turns much better, and I was doing things I never did on the 06....this is with only correct springs on the stock valving on the suspension. I can not wait to feel how good it's going to be once my SSS KYB forks are all tuned up by my guy. This bike will destroy single track one weekend, then legally DS across Colorado, the next. The 12' WR must be insanely good to be better than a fully set up 09 with the same fork. If so, I'm in for a treat in a few years when I pick up a 2012. For now though, I plan to race it this fall at 4 enduros and a few Harescrambles. I swore that I would never race a 4 stroke again for good reason, so we'll see how I feel about it come Xmas time. I finished in the Top 10 Overall B on the YZ250 at the last 2 Enduros I did last fall. I'm optimistic I can be just as competitive on this 09 WR w/SSS forks. We shall see.
XC Mode.JPG

Bought my 08 new in 08 and have loved every minute of it. Right up there for best bike ever with my 02kx500 :lol: . Every time I think about selling it to change things up a bit I go for a ride and fall in love all over again :thumbsup: I have mine minimalist street legal (AZ has the best street laws!) and ride it all over the place. My is basically stock with the AIS removed a JD kit and full 09 yz exhaust with PMB insert. I change the oil every 100 miles and air filter every ride. The valves have never moved and inch. The only things I have replaced have been the things that I have broke. I don't race it, have other bikes for that but I have about 2500miles on it with zero issues. I can't wait to ride a 12 and see what that is all about :blink:

• YamaLink

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:18 PM

I always hear how the WR's "magic button" is often the deciding point for those coming from YZFs or even the usually easy starting YZ.

• Bandit9

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:55 PM

When out trail riding, no need for button. However, I feel the button is an advantage in Enduro/HS, especially mountain or technical climbing type racing, especially when the button is on a 450....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.