2000 YZ426 clutch upgrade to 2001

3 replies to this topic
  • Matt_W

Posted October 01, 2001 - 02:25 PM

In an attempt to cure the hideous clutch problem on my 2000 YZ426, this past week I replaced the last friction plate of the 2000 clutch with the 2001 friction plate, and added the 2001 seat plate and anti-judder spring. On Sunday I had the opportunity to test this remedy out on a 7 hour ride encompassing all types of terrain. I want to thank the fine members of this board for suggesting this remedy, as it completely cured the dragging/chattering clutch. There was absolutely no dragging and no chattering of any kind, even immediately after the bike was warmed up. I want to mention the stock clutch basket is still in this bike, and the clutch still works flawlessly. So, if you have a 2000 model and you want to fix the dragging clutch, don't waste $200+ dollars on a clutch basket, because all you need is $40 for the 3 2001 model clutch parts mentioned above !!! Now all I need to do is figure out how to do the BK mod !!!

------------------
Matt W
00 YZ426F
94 YZ 250
http://www.mattwilliard.com
"Don't worry about me, how's my bike ?"

• motoman393

Posted October 01, 2001 - 03:36 PM

Here is the BK carb mod--> http://mx393.tripod.com/carb.html it is very easy to do check it out! Later,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted October 02, 2001 - 02:02 AM

Just one note, when your clutch basket breaks you will wish you had spent the $200, the broken metal tabs take expensive parts with them. The 00 426 had early and late model baskets, maybe you are lucky and have the late model. Good luck, mike

• Boit

Posted October 02, 2001 - 03:31 PM

And one more comment about the basket. The tangs get little grooves worn in them where the fingers of the plates slide back and forth during engagement/disengagement. When these grooves get deep enough, the plates tend to get sucked in as you try to gently engage the clutch and you end up with grabbiness. I don't think there is a pro rider out there that doesn't use an upgraded basket. And one last bit of info, if you disengage your clutch for about 20-30 seconds while the engine is warming up, the clutch is very smooth and you won't get that squawking noise and grabbiness. A fellow TT'er gave this advice and he was right on the money.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.