50th Anniversary YZ450f

13 replies to this topic
  • Scott07

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi, I was just wondering if the 50th anniversary model was anything different other then the plastics? and are they worth any more then the regular models? Thanks

• HRC

Posted August 04, 2012 - 12:06 AM

Didn't even know there was a bike for the 50th an. ?

Do you have pics ?

• DC_Excitement

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:31 AM

its the same bike, it just has the yellow plastics and black seat cover

• Scott07

Posted August 04, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yeah I just bought one last week and was just wanting to know a little more about it. I thought it was just the plastics but just wanted to be sure. Is there anything I should change or fix on it? Like mods to help things. It has a full titanium pro circuit exhaust, boyesen quick shot, and asv levers.

http://s1067.photobu...nt=IMG_0260.jpg

• DC_Excitement

Posted August 04, 2012 - 02:27 PM

i had a couple of 06s. I also hated the way it turned, so i bought the pro taper offset clamp set and it did wonders on the turning. i believe they were the 22mm offset. its a pretty bullet proof bike, the reliability is the top of its class. just check the valves alot and change the oil and clean the air filter. :thumbsup:

• Scott07

Posted August 06, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Yeah this is my first thumper and it seems I made a good choice :thumbsup: The bike also came with a gpr stabilizer. I am used to 2 strokes 125/250 and the steering on this is pretty good I think, but I do get head shake. will the stabilizer take that away or is there something else wrong?

• DC_Excitement

Posted August 06, 2012 - 04:27 PM

i dont know what position your forks are at but you may want to try to lower the tubes in the clamps, that will raise the front end alittle bit but it mainly takes some weight off of the front end to slow up the head shake. if that dosent work your gonna have to start reading up in the suspension section my friend :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott07

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:23 PM

i dont know what position your forks are at but you may want to try to lower the tubes in the clamps, that will raise the front end alittle bit but it mainly takes some weight off of the front end to slow up the head shake. if that dosent work your gonna have to start reading up in the suspension section my friend :thumbsup:

Ok well I believe there stock. I had a cbr600rr that I pulled the forks up through to put more weight on the front wheel. So im kinda familiar with what your saying. Also my buddy just bought a 09 kx250f and it sits higher then my bike. I looked up the specs and mine should be about 1 in taller (seat height) then his. The kx is about 1-2 in taller then mine. Could mine have been lowered?

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2012 - 06:56 AM

The listed seat height is taken with the suspension fully extended, so if you have the sag adjusted correctly, you would get a reading that varied from the spec sheet by an inch or so lower than listed.

Which raises the question of sag. You should have a race sag (you on the bike) of 95mm on an '06, and a free sag (weight of the alone) of 20-30mm. If not, that can be part of the trouble. The '06 is a bit of a handful to turn, and it likes the rider well forward on the bike and likes to be steered with the rear wheel better than with the front.

You should not have a significant amount of head shake, really. Under what conditions do you get that?

• Scott07

Posted August 07, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Ok well that's help full. I get head shake when accelerating on flat ground with little bumps or if when you wheelie and you set the front wheel back down.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:15 AM

You may want to check the wheel alignment. The front wheel should be centered in the fork, and the rear sprocket should point directly at the front sprocket.

Those situations where you're sitting well back on the bike and the front wheel is just skipping across things are a little tricky because there's no certainty that the tire is striking things squarely. If the tire makes contact off center, it can start a wiggle, but it shouldn't get too exaggerated. The damper should deal with that. Maybe it needs servicing.

• Scott07

Posted August 10, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Well, I havent got to checking wheel alignment but I tried to set the sag on it for me. See I only weigh 140 so I used a spanner tool to loosed the nuts on the rear shock and expanded the spring a little bit and that helped with the sag. the I adjusted 2 clicks harder on the comp. and dampening. Its better now but I think I still dont have the sag just right.

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:21 AM

If the bike has stock springs, you won't ever get the sag right at 140 pounds. You should invest in a set of springs the right rates for you. The difference will be quite remarkable.

• Scott07

Posted August 12, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah thats what I thought but for now Im trying to get it as best as it can be. Also when I adjusted the comp and dampening that was on the front shocks. Just wanted to get that straight. Its better now but Im not done messing with it yet lol Thanks for your help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.