06 starter help!

8 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted August 02, 2012 - 06:03 PM

So I went to fill my bike at the gas station and I hit the main power button and the bike instantly fired up without hitting the starter. I drove it for a bit, hit the kill switch, and it instantly fires up again...

What would be causing this? Also it killed my battery because I think it was still trying to start while running? Got it picked up in the truck thinking it will damage my starter if it keeps doing this... Any suggestions how to fix this?

• Stealth13

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Disconnected the starter switch from the system and jiggle around the wires a bit, every now and then I hear the starter kick in... There must be a short somewhere I assume.

• Stealth13

Posted August 03, 2012 - 03:19 PM

For those interested I finally found it. The brake switch was grounded onto my exhaust and making the bike start by itself ! Who would have thought

• td42ti

Posted August 04, 2012 - 12:33 AM

The brake switch was causing it? Wow, that is crazy! Damn electircal wizardry!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:55 AM

The rear brake light switch for my street kit kind of melted a bit with some wire exposed and would touch the exhaust sometimes and make the starter go off! Never would have thought

• Bandit9

Posted August 05, 2012 - 06:16 AM

That is one for the books.

• CaocaoWR

Posted August 05, 2012 - 08:28 AM

I met same problem with starter button, opened it up and found out that the spring was corroded totally. Nothing lift the press button away from two contacts points so the bike may start automatically.Posted Image
Many of my friend who ride WR also having the same issue with the starter button, still don't know how to prevent this, have to buy a new button every time. The button is not sealed perfectly so water & moisture can get in it, cause the corrosion.

• Stealth13

Posted August 05, 2012 - 12:42 PM

I met same problem with starter button, opened it up and found out that the spring was corroded totally. Nothing lift the press button away from two contacts points so the bike may start automatically.Posted Image
Many of my friend who ride WR also having the same issue with the starter button, still don't know how to prevent this, have to buy a new button every time. The button is not sealed perfectly so water & moisture can get in it, cause the corrosion.

That's the first thing I checked and took it apart cleaned it. It still boggles my mind how it was the exhaust grounding it...

• miweber929

Posted August 06, 2012 - 04:35 AM

It would depend on how you ran power to and from on your Tusk kit. If you stole a power source from the starter switch circuit, when it grounds the entire circuit completes.

Electronics is not hard, it's actually quite logical and very mechanical like when you get down to it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.