SILENCER PACKING?

21 replies to this topic
  • BRIAN68

Posted October 01, 2001 - 08:04 AM

I HAVE A 00 426 AND HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY BURNING OUT MY SILENCER PACKING IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF RIDE TIME.LESS THAN HALF THE TIME OF MY OLD 250 2-STROKES.I HAVE BEEN USING MOOSE PACKING.IS THERE ANY OTHER BRANDES OR SPECIAL TYPES THAT IS BETTER FOR 4-STROKES?

• Mxer303

Posted October 01, 2001 - 01:06 PM

I used stainless steel wool. Someone on this board told me about it, and it has lasted for 3 months so far. I ordered it from www.mcmastercarr.com - it is $17 a roll I believe.

• yzernie

Posted October 01, 2001 - 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Mxer303:
I used stainless steel wool. Someone on this board told me about it, and it has lasted for 3 months so far. I ordered it from www.mcmastercarr.com - it is $17 a roll I believe.

• yzernie

Posted October 01, 2001 - 06:39 PM

I brought the stainless steel wool to the attention of the group. Larry Roeseler told me about it and that is what they use in the Stroker mufflers for the race team. The exhaust heat is so much higher in a fourstroke than a 2 stroke that conventional fiberglass packing will burn out very quickly.

As mxer303 said, the stainless steel wool packing will last substantially longer. Ensure that you get stainless steel wool and not regular steel wool. Make sure when washing the bike you plug or cover the outlet so water does not enter the muffler. The water will advance the breakdown of the stainless steel wool.

I have not had to repack mine in 4 months. It is getting close but that is alot longer than the fiber stuff!!

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing

• dhowell

Posted October 02, 2001 - 02:26 AM

Another rookie question for you guys, but how do you know when the packing is going?

• yzernie

Posted October 02, 2001 - 03:22 AM

The two most obvious symptoms are loss of low end power and they get loud. If you look down into the core of the muffler, you should be able to see some of the packing through the holes in the core. If you don't see any, it is probably close to time for a change.

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing

• Glen_T

Posted October 02, 2001 - 05:00 AM

I don't know about the steel wool thing guys. This was an idea that I had some time ago (because I'm cheap) untill i read in dirt rider that the steel wool can actually catch fire! I've seen this happen in a test, and if you think about it, the last thing you want to be depositing in the dry brush are red hot pieces of steel! If you want to prove to yourself that steel wool will burn, try heating some with a propane torch. It should burn, but It certainly will burn if you expose it to an oxygen rich environment. (Yea, a pipe is not exactly an oxygen rich environment, but you still don't want to be blowing hot steel flakes out of your exhaust.) Larry Rosseler is a great source of info, but I think he missed the mark on this one.
GLEN

• Scooter426

Posted October 02, 2001 - 05:06 AM

Dont use steel wool, use STAINLESS Steel wool. Not prone to igniting like standard steel wool.
-scoot

• Glen_T

Posted October 02, 2001 - 05:07 AM

Duh, maybe I need to go back to third grade! Missed the STAINLESS part of the steel wool. I'm not sure about stainless, but steel wool is a big mistake. How do you insure that pieces of hot STAINLESS don't go blowing out of your pipe?
GLEN

• JBM

Posted October 02, 2001 - 07:43 AM

What method are you guys using to remove and reattach the end cap when you replace the packing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • #1_Hit-man

Posted October 02, 2001 - 01:05 PM

Would the coarse stainless steel wool be the better for packing, than the fine or med.? ~Hit-man~

------------------
00'YZ426F 00'XR50R LATER DAYS!!!

• Mxer303

Posted October 02, 2001 - 01:57 PM

I drilled out the center of the rivets, then knock them out with a punch. Just use a drill bit that is slightly bigger than the hole in the center of the rivet.

• yzernie

Posted October 02, 2001 - 04:53 PM

Hit Man,

Use coarse stainless steel wool.

Ernie

• #1_Hit-man

Posted October 02, 2001 - 05:57 PM

Yzernie, Thats what I thought. THANX! :) ~Hit-man~

------------------

• BRIAN68

Posted October 03, 2001 - 04:34 AM

Mxer303,
Do you know a part number for the stainless steel wool?They did not seem to know what i was talking about when i ask for it by name.

thanks,
Brian

Originally posted by Mxer303:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 03, 2001 - 08:09 AM

You really use coarse stainless steel wool? Silencer packing is normally very fine. Why not fine steel wool?

• Mxer303

Posted October 04, 2001 - 04:35 AM

I found it on their website- not sure about the part number. I'll look today and see if I can find it.

• JBM

Posted October 04, 2001 - 08:17 AM

Mxer303,
Thanks, that's what I thought about removing the end cap, but how are you fastening it back on?

• motoman393

Posted October 04, 2001 - 11:52 AM

I used a matching drill and tap. It is alot easier (and cheaper) that new rivets/rivet gun! Just make sure you use high temp silicone sealant when you put the muffler back together. I bent my stock muffler (when I was still looping out 10 months ago lol) and I bent it back with an oxyacetylene torch and I replaced the rear rivets (in the back of the canister). And now it looks brand new after some polishing with Mother's aluminum polish. Now I have myself a backup muffler in case something happens to my WB R4!

Oh yeah BTW The rivets where a chore to get out I broke 3 bits so I would have a few extra drill bits on hand just in case. Hope this helps,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• #1_Hit-man

Posted October 04, 2001 - 12:17 PM

Brain68, Stainless steel wool, 3coarse one Lb. roll approx. 20-24 ft. long. Part# 7364T19 $14.80. ~Hit-man~

------------------

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.