What tank should i go with?

17 replies to this topic

Poll: What tank should i go with? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tank?

1. Clear Dez (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Blue Dez (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Stock (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Clear Dez YZ (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Blue Dez YZ (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • redswr

Posted August 01, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hey guys went out and found a large crack in my stock tank so now i'm searching... not sure if i wanna do a clear dez tank, blue dez tank or keep it stock... I don't really push fuel range that often and want to get back into GP's and WORCs which are only 45min to an hour. What do you guys think? Would clear look good?

Posted Image

Edited by redswr, August 02, 2012 - 04:10 PM.

• DANO

Posted August 01, 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have a clear on my 450 and it looks like shit now. I got it so I could see the gas levels relatively easily while riding. I regret it. Between the gas and sun, it looks like sh*t now.

• Bandit9

Posted August 01, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I think clear/translucent looks bad, but I'm sure many think the opposite. Over time it just gets worse too.

On your bike I would go blue or black.

• redswr

Posted August 01, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have a clear on my 450 and it looks like shit now. I got it so I could see the gas levels relatively easily while riding. I regret it. Between the gas and sun, it looks like sh*t now.

yeah thats what i don't like... i just powdercoated this bike and it looks sweet... don't want a nasty yellow tank. Guess i could keep it covered as much as possible though

• redswr

Posted August 01, 2012 - 05:41 PM

anyone done the YZ IMS tank and YZ seat? supposed to be less top heavy and .2 gallons more than stock WR...

• Dirt Addict

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:57 PM

even if you're running expert in a worcs race (1 hour?) you can make it on a stock tank. Lots of mx guys doing the worcs series are sticking with the stocker. They are the lightest handling of the ones listed.
I just picked up an acerbis for my wr. Holly cow its big. It's the one with the ''wings'' . Great radiator protection, but sheesh it's big. I'm gonna switch back and forth between the two...

• redswr

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:26 PM

even if you're running expert in a worcs race (1 hour?) you can make it on a stock tank. Lots of mx guys doing the worcs series are sticking with the stocker. They are the lightest handling of the ones listed.
I just picked up an acerbis for my wr. Holly cow its big. It's the one with the ''wings'' . Great radiator protection, but sheesh it's big. I'm gonna switch back and forth between the two...

thats the 6.6 gallon huh... things massive!

• MANIAC998

Posted August 02, 2012 - 02:40 AM

I've done the IMS tank with YZ seat, and love the way it changed the ergonomics. Also, the fuel level is carried lower than stock, so if it's not full, it handles even better than the stocker!
Maniac

• GlennR

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:19 AM

What is "dez" ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Local13Ridez

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:44 AM

even if you're running expert in a worcs race (1 hour?) you can make it on a stock tank. Lots of mx guys doing the worcs series are sticking with the stocker. They are the lightest handling of the ones listed. I just picked up an acerbis for my wr. Holly cow its big. It's the one with the ''wings'' . Great radiator protection, but sheesh it's big. I'm gonna switch back and forth between the two...

I got the one with "wings" on my YZ450F. Thought it was "Holly cow" big at first but now I am used to it. And I like having
it on there. Mine is 3.3 gallons though.

What is "dez" ? Desert edition!!

Edited by Local13Ridez, August 02, 2012 - 04:46 AM.

• Dube2

Posted August 02, 2012 - 06:09 AM

all my buddies gave me shit for getting a blue IMS tank, they said how will you know how much fuel you have, I said, I'll just look through your YELLOW/BROWN tanks. Now they seem to like the look of my still YZ blue tank. another TT Rider here switched from clear to Black and that looks pretty good too.

• GlennR

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have the blue IMS 3.3 I like it, but the previousl owner stripped one of the inserts for a front mounting tab, so I had to improvise a little. I like the heavy wings on it.

Considering how poor my fuel milage is I just couldn't get by with the stock tank. I can go over 100 miles with the IMS.

• Local13Ridez

Posted August 02, 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal tank with wings in the blue color and as long as you have some sunlight on the tank
you can see through it to see your fuel level. Just not as easily as you can see through the clear/beige ones.
It is pretty obvious where the fuel level is in this pic I just took.
Posted Image

• redswr

Posted August 02, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal tank with wings in the blue color and as long as you have some sunlight on the tank
you can see through it to see your fuel level. Just not as easily as you can see through the clear/beige ones.
It is pretty obvious where the fuel level is in this pic I just took.

how do you use any of the gas below the petcock? looks like theres a lot of unusable gas

Edited by redswr, August 02, 2012 - 03:12 PM.

• redswr

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:10 PM

ok edited so you can vote more than once, added YZ tanks too :)

• Dirt Addict

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:15 PM

mine is the 3.3 gal, clear tank.

• Local13Ridez

Posted August 02, 2012 - 05:27 PM

[color=#282828]>how do you use any of the gas below the petcock? looks like theres a lot of unusable gas[/color]

[color=#282828]That is the amount of gas you need to light a fire after you putter to a stop in the middle of the Mojave desert just after sunset[/color]
[color=#282828]when your reserve runs out on you. But seriously it is about 3-4 inches vertically of gas at the very tips of the "wings" where they [/color]
[color=#282828]are 3/4s to 1" thick so it is not "that much" gas but you are right that it is basically unavailable to be used by the engine.[/color]

Edited by Local13Ridez, August 02, 2012 - 05:28 PM.

• redswr

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:32 PM

acerbis doesn't make a tank with the wings for my bike... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.