More power 2012 YZ450f!

21 replies to this topic
  • MxGuff62

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hello out there! New to the site and to the 4stroke world. Just recently purchased a 2012 Yz450f, I was looking for some suggestions to get a little more power out of the stock bike. I raced around a track this past weekend with a friend that rides an 2004 yz450f and when he took the 2012 out he came back and asked "where is the power" We both agreed that the low end needs a little more aggression! any ideas?

• Fade

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hello out there! New to the site and to the 4stroke world. Just recently purchased a 2012 Yz450f, I was looking for some suggestions to get a little more power out of the stock bike. I raced around a track this past weekend with a friend that rides an 2004 yz450f and when he took the 2012 out he came back and asked "where is the power" We both agreed that the low end needs a little more aggression! any ideas?

You probably need a honda, but I will take the bike off your hands for 500 dollars. But seriously, I would reccomend fmf powerbomb header and whatever silencer you choose, and maybe a hotcam, stage 1 most likely if you want ALOT of low end torque, not sure how the stage 2 does as far as low end torque...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Visit the Yamaha YZ450F forum and you will find the answers you are looking for.

• dmm698

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:32 PM

More power? Its a 450, the top professionals hardly request more power from those. I don't think power is the issue-The problem is you bought the Yamadog so you feel it needs more low end to get moving again after the corners are botched due to its awful handling. I dont understand everybody saying they need more out of 450's, they are like 50+ horse??? If you want more low end get the ECU tuned to provide more down low but you may sacrifice a bit up top for it.

• domdomfielding1

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:15 PM

U need to gear it and change the map. It is a dog with the stock map take it to the dealer if you don't have a programmer and have them tune it it takes like two minutes to do. Look at the Yz forum for a good map. I did this to mine and it now has rip your arm off power.LOL :)

• ekulb14

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:23 PM

+1 on gearing a 450 should have plenty of pull with a stock engine, at most do the exhaust but i woudnt mess with the internals.

• GoneBoggin

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Go up two teeth in the back sprocket, and maybe have the FI tuned. You shouldn't really be needing too much more power out of a 450, to my experience anyway

• MxGuff62

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone, to some of the post, I guess I am not looking for more "power" but more aggressiveness of the power if you will. I think I will try a tooth or two on the back and the mapping Idea, I have heard about some people changing that and getting some positive results!

Thanks again!

• jcm3

Posted August 03, 2012 - 01:36 PM

What gear are you riding in?

I'm suprised to say that the low end is what's lacking. The low end is pretty stout, it's the top end that can use the extra power, as it signs off earlier than a few of the other 450's.

Seriously though, if you are good enough that the bike feels slow to you, then you either came off of something that is a flamethrower, or you're a pretty darned good rider.

• corndog

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Seriously though, if you are good enough that the bike feels slow to you, then you either came off of something that is a flamethrower, or you're a pretty darned good rider.

If you weigh a couple hundred pounds, are only somewhat fast, and love gobs of low end, a 450 is really not very 'fast'.

The gearing should help quite a bit. I'd go down one in the front, I don't think you're going to feel enough of a difference with adding a couple to the rear. I'm not EFI savvy, but as another fellow mentioned, you should see some benefits with a good map. If you like tweaking your toys, perhaps low-end porting and custom grind cam will get your juices flowing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Put an aftermarket slip on on and put the jay marmont map in and you'll be good to go. Add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket also. Those 2004 YZ450's have a hard hit, harder than anything after 2006, which may be fun at times but won't make your lap times any faster.

Edited by rickallen124, August 04, 2012 - 07:42 PM.

• jcm3

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:14 PM

If you weigh a couple hundred pounds, are only somewhat fast, and love gobs of low end, a 450 is really not very 'fast'.

I'm about 200 lbs, so I understand what you are saying. I'm a track guy, and it feels plenty fast if you ride it right. If you're lugging around in third coming out of tight corners, then sure, it won't feel very fast.

But, it's plenty fast if you're in the right gear and are keeping your momentum up. It's not the fastest bike from the last few years, but the low end is not the complaint, usually. The top end is usually where it gets bagged on in the mags.

I hear ya though, it's not a rocket..

• 2012yz450f

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:41 AM

I put on the yoshimura rs-4d full exhaust, i am getting so much more bottom to mid range and i havent even tune it out yet. I am trying to get more top end, which i believe the tuner will come in handy. I am trying to find a website to tells you the recommend setting for yamahas with yoshimura rs-4d.

Any of you guys know?

ANy input would be much appreciated.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 09, 2015 - 03:57 PM

More power? Its a 450, the top professionals hardly request more power from those. I don't think power is the issue-The problem is you bought the Yamadog so you feel it needs more low end to get moving again after the corners are botched due to its awful handling. I dont understand everybody saying they need more out of 450's, they are like 50+ horse??? If you want more low end get the ECU tuned to provide more down low but you may sacrifice a bit up top for it.

Oh really?

So ProCircuit just opens the motors and charges $17,000 just for fun ?

There is not one single professional racer (not expert, professional) that runs a stock anything, motor or suspension. 

The ECU does not 'make power' it changes Fuel Air ratio and timing curves.

If it's fuel and air ratio is off, you can improve power.

If the timing  curve is not to your riding style, you  can change it.

The only way to make more power is displacement or flow. 

• cpetz24

Posted September 10, 2015 - 04:47 AM

Twist that throttle thing farther and hold on.  I just got a 2011 and I'm working on taking power out of the bike to make it rideable.  Granted I woods race and spend less time on the track, but even on the track I can't see where more power would be needed.    You can get over just about anything with just a blurp of the throttle.  

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Wrong. 

• galligar

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:32 AM

pipe,50 on the rear,remap . You can also custom order a thinner head gasket from cometic $40ish. Mine had gtyr head,cams,14-1 piston power top to bottom . I had a drd and tried a yosh ,sold the dr.d, yosh had more on top.

• jimbopitts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Start by adding a tooth to the rear sprocket.

• dmm698

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Oh really?

So ProCircuit just opens the motors and charges $17,000 just for fun ?

There is not one single professional racer (not expert, professional) that runs a stock anything, motor or suspension.

The ECU does not 'make power' it changes Fuel Air ratio and timing curves.
If it's fuel and air ratio is off, you can improve power.
If the timing curve is not to your riding style, you can change it.

as somebody who has dealt with engine calibration, you don't know what you're talking about.

If the Ecu doesn't make power, you should take it out for weight savings. You can move the power charistics of a bike around with timing and fuel. How do you think kawasaki's resistor plugs work? its a switch to control reference voltage. All its doing is changing fuel and ignition toming based on what map it defaults to from the signal return on the resister and voila, power characteristics changed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2015 - 05:38 AM

as somebody who has dealt with engine calibration, you don't know what you're talking about.

If the Ecu doesn't make power, you should take it out for weight savings. You can move the power charistics of a bike around with timing and fuel. How do you think kawasaki's resistor plugs work? its a switch to control reference voltage. All its doing is changing fuel and ignition toming based on what map it defaults to from the signal return on the resister and voila, power characteristics changed.

I see. 

So what you are saying is that if I take a 2009 motor and put on a 2016 ECU I will have 2016 power.

Yeah, right.

A motor is just an air pump. Make it more efficient, scavange more per cc and per rpm and you get more power.

To allow that power to occur you tune the ECU to match the motors capability. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.