Kick Starter To Loose???

5 replies to this topic
  • Adam

Posted September 30, 2001 - 04:31 PM

yah did anyone have a problem with a there kickstart being loose and coming out to the side. its really pissing me off when i'm riding it's against my leg,and when i'm standing it comes straight out to the side and it's dangerouse.I landed a jump leaning back and it got me right in the back of the knee.
i tried tightnight the screw on the side but nothing i have no idea how to fix the damn thing can anyone help???

• motoman393

Posted September 30, 2001 - 05:00 PM

I fixed an XR250 that had this problem! The spring and ball inside the pivot are probably worn out! The spring is very little and the ball is a tad larger than a BB. It is hard to explain but the ball is pushed into a groove by the spring (inside the pivot joint) they are very easy to replace, but are very small and easy to lose! The spring is worn out and not pushing the ball into the joint hard enough, this is why the kickstarter is coming out on you. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the kickstarter mechanism is very simple (externally) and this is the only thing that could cause this IMO! Hope this helps,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• Adam

Posted October 01, 2001 - 07:46 AM

Ok thanks never knew this

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpin_426

Posted October 01, 2001 - 08:14 AM

Yeh, I had the same problem. At first mine was clogged up and very stiff. I took it apart to clean it and I didn't notice the ball bearing that fell out. When I put it back together it wouldn't stay in. I bought the spring and ball bearing for like $3.00 from a Yamaha dealer. It's back to normal.

Later..............

• Boit

Posted October 02, 2001 - 03:59 PM

I would venture to guess that the kickstarter is the most often neglected maintenance item. Mine included. When I noticed that the lever was getting hard to pivot, I took it off and cleaned it thoroughly and then lubed the ball and pivot area. I use penetrating oil regularly now. Good post.

• ss55539

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:01 PM

this is an old thread but i had this issue tonight at the track. if your like me and dont like waiting a week for yamaha parts you can fix this with a few items out of your garage. i took an extra 3/8 adapter, cut the ball out of it, found a fresh spring (had to cut to size), cleaned all the old crud off with some scotchbrite, threw some new grease and o ring on it and it works like new. best part of all-no waiting on parts lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.