BACK ON A 4-STROKE....2007YZ450F

5 replies to this topic
  • flapwick

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Truth is,at 50 years old and 240 pounds,the 450 is just easier to ride than my beloved 05 YZ250.Which I have put SSS suspension on,GYTR heavier flywheel,V-Force 3 reeds,and an FMF Fatty.Along with Flexx bars, UFO Restyled plastics and a new,custom 200 dollar graphics kit!!!All within the last year!A month ago, a friend asked if I'd like to buy his Dad's 07 450,low hour,trail ridden bike at a very reasonable price.....so I did.I fell in love with it immediately.The power on my 250 2-Stroke was still pretty frightening,even with my mods.My number one factor in liking the 4-stroke is the ease,stability,and tracking while coming out of a corner and over a jump.The 250 throttle was still just too twitchy to me.(I ride Motocross,and the local track is pretty gnarly!).However,I did have a horrible experience with an 06 YZ450 a couple of years ago....2 total catastrophic grenades within a year(which is why I got the 2stroke to begin with),so I wanted to make sure my new 07 was fresh and ready to go.While putting in a new top end,my mechanic friend noticed that the lining on the cylinder had a couple of tiny chips in the lining of it,with a bit of scoring on the walls,so I've decided to get a new cylinder,and my question is........should I spend the $275.00 on a brand new OEM,or get a remanufactured,re NICOM coated cylinder from US CHROME for 160.00 after I get $50.00 back from mailing them my old cylinder????Any thoughts?? Thanks alot!!

• corndog

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:23 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having your cylinder re-coated from one of the well known shops like US Chrome, Powerseal USA, etc. However, being that they're $257 from Motosport and they currently have 2 in stock, that's the only route my patience would allow me to go. Don't forget to get a couple pins while you're at it, just in case (item 26 x 2ea). You can also take advantage of the TT price guarantee, which I think works out to $251, though it wouldn't be worth that $6 if you had to wait an additional 1-2 weeks because they don't have it on hand, but I digress....

• flapwick

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks,corndog.The recoated one from USCHROME will ship immediately,and then I send them mine.But I think I will spend the extra cash and get a new OEM,and I think my local shop will match Motosports 257.00.What are the ,"Pins" you're referring to? Also,would it be wise to get a new timing chain while I'm at it?Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thanks,corndog.The recoated one from USCHROME will ship immediately,and then I send them mine.But I think I will spend the extra cash and get a new OEM,and I think my local shop will match Motosports 257.00.What are the ,"Pins" you're referring to? Also,would it be wise to get a new timing chain while I'm at it?Thanks!

Do the chain while you have it apart. They are inexpensive and easy to do as long as you have a flywheel puller.

• marv02

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:42 PM

I also Love the 2 strokes I am also 50 but the reason I went 4 stroke this time around there just easyer to ride.

But I still Love 2 storkes.

• flapwick

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks,corndog,for the Motosport tip.Cylinder and timing chain are on their way.My local shop would not match the price(Hey,I gave them a shot at it!).Contemplating some ebay chinese radiators,but I may just get my slightly tweaked left side rad fixed.Oh........and thanks for wading through my novella to actually find my question!Looks like I'm gonna be on my YZ250 this weekend,though.Ring-a-ding-ding!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.