exhaust leak = backfire?

5 replies to this topic
  • mediumdaddy

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:34 AM

So According to the mechanic, my bike is jetted correctly for my elevation, yet it still backfires a LOT. he says he thinks there is an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head. would this cause a lot of backfiring? what else could be the culprit?

• corndog

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Is the bike new to you? If no, has it always been this way?

What bike do you have?

When does it backfire?

Where is the fuel screw set?

I've read that these bikes are typically a little lean on the pilot, you might try backing out the fuel screw 1-2 turns and see how that affects the backfiring.

I'd say it's more likely that there are jetting issues than a leak at the header, but I see no harm in pulling it off and visually inspecting the sealing surfaces.

• mediumdaddy

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:01 PM

The bike is new to me, 99 yz400f, and its been this way since i bought it. When my mechanic put on the new carb, he said he jetted/adjusted it correctly for this altitude, but i dont know exactly what the fuel screw is set at. It backfires on deceleration, almost every time i let off the throttle. I'm 90% sure i can hear the exhaust leak at the header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankie_b_jr

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Some popping on decel is normal. If it sounds like a machine gun, then it needs attention. Look for carbon build up (black soot) around the exhaust joints. If you don't see any find or make a stubby screw driver and adjust the fuel screw (recessed under front of carb). Check and write down where it is at first!

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2012 - 06:13 PM

... he thinks there is an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head. would this cause a lot of backfiring? what else could be the culprit?

Yes. The two main causes are lean idle jetting and exhaust leaks. Leaks are easily located by having someone hold a rag over the end of the muffler to increase the pressure in the system while you look for the leak. The most common point is at the joint between the mid and header pipes.

As Frankie pointed out, a correctly jetted YZF will normally backfire out the pipe on decel to some extent at least some of the time. DO NOT chase the problem with jetting until after you have discounted the leak issue.

• mediumdaddy

Posted August 06, 2012 - 05:42 AM

OK So! for those that give a crap - After i received both new gaskets from rmatv, I dismantled the exhaust system to find that there was NO gasket on the head. Nothing. so i plugged the new one in, and replaced the middle one as well, and not one single backfire yet. two rides later. It seems to run better as well (but i also cleaned and oiled the air filter).So hopefully my jetting is fine after all. Thanks for the help!

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.