Which tires would you choose for dual sport?

14 replies to this topic
  • 5spoke

Posted November 02, 2003 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Math

Posted November 03, 2003 - 07:40 AM

5spoke,

You'll find hours of reading about dual sport tires on this forum using the search engine. Check up for the available sizes for the tires you mentinond. If I'm correct, some of them have very limited size choice.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 03, 2003 - 07:55 AM

I hear that the MT21 are popular on Baja trips. Wear well and hook up is reasonably good. I have not tried them yet. But I was planning on using them on my Baha trip next year. :)

• BIBMEN

Posted November 03, 2003 - 10:48 AM

You forgot one. these are the Michelin Enduro Comp tires. They are also DOT approved.
David
Posted Image

• 5spoke

Posted November 03, 2003 - 11:27 AM

Have you used these and how do they feel on the road?

• Bamster

Posted November 03, 2003 - 01:43 PM

Kenda trackmaster on the rear,that choice is simple.
I have only used only non dot tires on the front, i juat
scrape off the "not" on "not for highway use".

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted November 03, 2003 - 02:42 PM

Kenda trackmaster on the rear,that choice is simple.
I have only used only non dot tires on the front, i juat
scrape off the "not" on "not for highway use".

:)

I think I am going to pull my dremmel tool out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5spoke

Posted November 03, 2003 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image

• BIBMEN

Posted November 03, 2003 - 07:58 PM

They are not for use for any period of time on roads. They are a soft compound and will wear rapidly. They are DOT approved as some countries require a DOT or E Mark tire as OEM. The front is basicly a M12 pattern with the rear having slightly closed and shorter lugs for less squirm and better traction on things like rocks and roots. What kind of riding are you looking to do? If you want a more road type tyre look at these.
Posted Image

These are the Sirac series and are much more road suited.
David

• 5spoke

Posted November 03, 2003 - 09:39 PM

• Math

Posted November 04, 2003 - 07:00 AM

I have two wheel sets and one of them is mounted with the siracs. These tires rocks! They hold on straight on the road and are very surprising offroad. They will hold great offroad unless you ride them in deep muddy or sandy conditions. If you want a road oriented d/s tire, never buy something else: front or rear. By the way, kendas are the most aggressive d/s tires I've tried and they suck on the road...good off though. All front pirellis are dot.

• dale

Posted November 04, 2003 - 03:23 PM

For anything other than mud or very loose dirt I use Bridgestone ED661 90/90/21, I even run them on not street bikes for dry conditions. They have a stiff side wall and very good life, and DOT.

• 5spoke

Posted November 04, 2003 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

• r1superstar

Posted November 30, 2003 - 04:41 PM

You may want to look into King's tires as well. I believe the model is the KT-966. Or even the KT-9601/KT-9602. The prices are a lot lower too.

• CISCO

Posted December 02, 2003 - 01:24 PM

Michelin Baja rear 140-80-18
Pirelli MT-18 front.

Just do it, youll like em!!!

Buy them from www.swmototires.com
Cool guys down there, all desert racers :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.