07 YZ450f tips/tricks

7 replies to this topic
  • Sidetrack

Posted July 28, 2012 - 06:51 PM

So I just acquired a very low hour 07 YZ450f in trade and wanted the inside scoop on the bike. I don't have any direct experience with the blue bikes. My normal ride is an 06 KTM 450 EXC along with 2 strokes for years on end. Anything I should be aware of for the bike? Any 'got to change or service right away' details? The bike is all stock and I would be surprised if it had 50 hours on it. I'm gonna start off with an oil change and clean the carb through and through. From there, I'm looking for details that need to be addressed or any insight into that model year that could save me some grief in the future. Thanks!

• Family Man

Posted July 28, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I would check the valves, change the cam chain for sure and probley install a new piston, rings circlips and wristpin just to be safe. The chain slider will rub a hole in the swing arm if left un modded, mine did. I like 95mm sag on my 07 yz450f and the forks up 5mm in the clamps. change the oil every 3-5 hrs and you should be set. Theyre great bikes, congrats.

• Sidetrack

Posted July 29, 2012 - 01:55 PM

Wow. Full rebuild on a low hour bike? Seems a little excessive, but suppose its the only way to be sure. What is the typical top end rebuild interval for these bikes? Are the cam chains swapped out on a regular basis?

• Slow and Jerky

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wow. Full rebuild on a low hour bike? Seems a little excessive, but suppose its the only way to be sure. What is the typical top end rebuild interval for these bikes? Are the cam chains swapped out on a regular basis?

Valve clearances and do the breather tube mod. Probably not a bad idea to do the timing chain at some point. Lots of people smarter than me suggest doing the t-chain yearly since they are inexpensive and relatively easy to change.

If it hasn't been ridden hard I don't think I would do a top end unless you suspect a problem. Other than that moving the forks up a little helps handling in the corners. You might want to look at the gearing depending on where/how you ride but those are just personal preference tweaks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Read through the Common Threads sticky, particularly the oil change procedure and relevant matters. They are a very solid, very reliable bike.

Timing chains should be replaced annually or thereabouts, but otherwise, 50 hours is just getting warmed up.

• idahoexcr500

Posted July 30, 2012 - 05:16 AM

I have the same bike. I bought is used 2.5 years ago. I have changed the timing chain and adjusted the valves. For motor work thats it. Watch the one oil filter cover bolt (well documented on TT). I rerouted the breather hose into the airbox.I replaced the stock chain guide with an aftermarket one and silconed it to the swingarm, end of noise from rattling chain. As others have said 95mm of sag works great. I had to sofen the dampening in the forks a couple of clicks.
Other than that just regular maint. These are great bikes and they work well in all types of riding. Mine has an aftermarket pipe and sliencer. Power on these bikes is really good, very smooth and easy to manage.
Enjoy

• Sidetrack

Posted July 30, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice TT'rs!!

• PushL1

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:04 PM

i have an 06, the bikes are bulletproof. if it isn't broke dont fix it, i always say. i've been racing it and as long as i keep it off the rev limiter and the valves don't float everything is good. i havent had to make a valve adjustment in over a year and i ride it at least once a week for a couple hours. i recommend just the obvious... radiator braces, skid plate and grease all the linkage components really good. oh, i dont know if they changed the seal or not from 06 - 07 but on the 06 the top steering bearing dust seal leaks water really bad if you pressure wash the bike. take that apart inspect it and see if theres any pitting then grease it really good.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.