How long did your stock tires live?

29 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 01, 2003 - 04:23 PM

I keep refering my Vegas to Reno race this year, but I ran the Maxxis IT's, the front tire was a champ!! The rear was pretty done. Pretty good for 500 plus miles...

The Dunlop 739AT is the champ in the desert... Most pro racers sware by it.. It lasts better than any tire as far as wear goes, it's heavy with a strong sidewall.

On Saturday I'll be racing the Vegas 200.. I just bought a pair of Bridgestones...601 for the front and the 602 for the rear, I only have to go 200 miles and I feel these tires offer great traction with great durability.. I would buy the Maxxis ITs but my local dealer doesn't carry them.. I don't like the hassle of ordering tires, I just like going into the dealer and buying whatever he has in stock, he stocks Bridgestones.............

PS. Life is too short to ride with crappy tires like the Terraflex...

• WR450F_RDR

Posted December 01, 2003 - 08:48 PM

The stock Dunlop's are good for hardpack and dry conditions. I prefer the S-12's for the wet and slimy,the michelins have also lasted longer.

• jwriott

Posted December 02, 2003 - 12:19 PM

I did not have good luck here with the Dunlop 739's of any type. The stockers sucked and the 4-stroke specific tire didn't last well or grip well either.

I switched to the Maxxis IT rear and I got 600 miles out of it with 175 miles at Moab with Indy and yzman400. I'm pretty hyper with the throttle and brake and this tire has lasted the longest by far.

I also think tire life is very dependent on how you ride. For people like me, it is very short but I enjoy riding like this. For people who are easy on the throttle and slow down before corners instead of sliding into them, the tires last way longer.

• Lowedog

Posted December 03, 2003 - 04:10 PM

Jeez bro, how'd you manage to let go with the cash to actually purchase a new motorcycle. Riding on tires that are way beyond their wear life isn't all that fun, even if you are a tight waud!!

I had lot's of fun riding on that tire. :) I'm not racing anyone and I never had a problem going where my riding buddies went so no problem for me.

Lowedog

• MiniMadMan50

Posted December 03, 2003 - 11:20 PM

Jeez bro, how'd you manage to let go with the cash to actually purchase a new motorcycle. Riding on tires that are way beyond their wear life isn't all that fun, even if you are a tight waud!!

I had lot's of fun riding on that tire. :) I'm not racing anyone and I never had a problem going where my riding buddies went so no problem for me.

Lowedog

Yea no kidding. Getting the most time/distance out of your parts is all about riding your bike responsibly. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alabama_Rider

Posted December 05, 2003 - 11:09 AM

My stock tires were done by 500 miles. I switched to the Michelin S-12 which is the "mother of all tires for sand and mud"... :) They are probably not a good tire for rocks. :D

• blackie

Posted December 05, 2003 - 03:49 PM

Maxxis IT's are the best wearing tire I've tried, much better than even the D739AT's. I'm absolutely amazed with the life. You'll be real happy with the price too!!! They hook up great in the desert and are perfectly acceptable in the woods for a tire that's not really soft.. Soft is better in the woods if you can afford lots of tires. :) :D

I second this experience the Maxxis ITs are the best tire around. I use mine in hardpack, sand, rocks, mud... I cannot find fault with this tire. The stock dunlops are the worst tires I have ever used.

I third the Maxxis experience. Prefer Michelin Starcross, but they last only a few rides. The Maxxis IT hooks up well and lasts longer then other tires I have used in the past.

• BEAN329

Posted December 05, 2003 - 06:21 PM

what size IT's

• dale

Posted December 06, 2003 - 03:23 PM

How about you guys start sending me your tires when you get done with them. :) I put 1800 miles on the stocker and was still debating on changing it out. I'm kind of a tight arss though.

I'm running a Terraflex now. Don't like it much. Too soft for me. But I will run it till it's done.

Lowedog

A "tight arss" with a $6K motorcycle? My stock 739s have 200 miles, which is when I bought the bike and took them off for a 756 front and M12 rear. Make me an offer if you like them that much, and add shipping from OH and they are yours. I probably have some 490 dunlops that Honda thinks is an off road tire I can send to. I want to comment on the Bridgestone ED661, it's a great front tire if you ride where it works; not mud, not blue groove but everything in between and it last a long time, DOT also. Since I live in OH I prefer 756 front, but they don't last long when you have a few rocks or hard pack.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2003 - 04:19 PM

I agree the stock 739 are the worst tires I have ever riden on. I took them off at 500 miles and should have changed them earlier. S12's rock! Best set of tires I have ever run. They are still difficult to get in 140 sized rear. So I got to the point of calling the michelin master distributor and getting 3 rears sent to me. They are 30% under capacity on current orders for this tire. Go figure one good magazine test and they are now difficult to attain.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.