another question? cb key

5 replies to this topic
  • yz4me

Posted September 29, 2001 - 01:29 PM

I was wonderring what size cb key you guys are using, i got some 3/16, but I think that it is supposed to be 7.5 mm. it is not as tight of a fit as I would like. I was looking at stock on MCmaster and all they had was 1/4 and 3/16.

• UNCHeelYeah

Posted September 30, 2001 - 03:19 AM

I haven't checked the cost, but I was wondering...if you know that this is a known problem with the 2000 model, and that you will have to re-visit this key again in the future, shouldn't you perhaps consider replacing the 2000 unit with the 2001, which did away with the key and replaced it with a spline drive? I can't figure out why they used the key in the first place on the 2000 model...there are splines everywhere else on the CB mechanism. Anyway, tell me what you find out.

• yz4me

Posted September 30, 2001 - 04:07 AM

Dude! to do that you would have to split the cases and replace the crank with a new one, not worth the 1500 bucks or however much it would be. I will spend the dollar on key stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Glen_T

Posted September 30, 2001 - 07:05 AM

Agreed! It's cost prohibited unless you sell your perfectly good 2000 and buy a 2001/2. Not an option for me. You still would loose 1500.00! I got my keystock from Stott F some time ago. On my dial caliper his stock measures 198 thousandths of an inch. A Yamaha replacement key measures just shy of 196 thousandths. I keep this stuff around along with extra gaskets in case I need them. I've replaced my keystock twice. Once with Scotts stock, and lately with a yamaha replacement. I don't think the Yamaha part will last as well, but I thought I'd try it and see.

Glen T

• Scott_F

Posted October 01, 2001 - 05:11 AM

Glen said it. A tight fit is better. The key is 5mm, or about .198" I'll send a piece to yz4me if you want. Do not use 3/16".

• UNCHeelYeah

Posted October 02, 2001 - 12:11 PM

I'd like to have a piece, if you have it. Tell me what I need to do, and I'll be happy to oblige. Thanks.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.