2012 WR 450 EFI Tuning Questions

12 replies to this topic
  • tomerb

Posted July 25, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Has any one else checked there throttle blade opening angle? When I checked mine it was only 76 degrees at WOT. I replaced the throttle stop screw with one that was 10mm long and it did not seem to hit anything when I tightened it down and I held it full throttle as I installed it. Also the starting angle was zero.
I installed the FMF map and it starts right up and runs very good with the FMF Q4 exhaust.

Edited by tomerb, July 27, 2012 - 02:22 PM.

• BFox

Posted July 27, 2012 - 05:20 PM

OK the suspense is killing me.How does it compare to the Honda.That is if you even have one or are you over here just stirring the pot?May need pics for verification.That Yosh tuner does look nifty

• tomerb

Posted July 27, 2012 - 06:54 PM

You BFox Canadians are just too smart!! You caught me!! I've never rode a motorcycle, quad, mountain bike, or drove a side by side in my whole life......... And that's all I've got to say about that.........Oh I did work at a bakery a long time ago and I did stir a pot when I worked there.

Edited by tomerb, July 28, 2012 - 11:48 AM.

• tomerb

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think I've found the answer to my own question.........

It sounds like me and another gentleman on another forum had the same question about throttle opening angle on our 2012 WR450s. He and I both had the same question. why do we only have from 0 with no throttle to 76 degrees at full throttle. I have not found any specifications for the WR on the Yamaha web site but they do talk about the YZ 450. The YZ 450 which starts at an angle of about 15-19 degrees when the throttle is fully closed (but tuner will say zero if the TPS is set correctly)without knowing for sure what our starting angle is we can not calculate if ours are opening to 90 degrees for sure. So if the WR works the same as the YZ and not have a zero degree angle on the butterfly with the throttle closed it makes sense that the WR has a starting angle of about 14 degrees with the throttle closed. You add 76 and 14 you get 90 degrees. So to be sure you can take your air cleaner booth off and look inside the TB to see if I'm correct...

• BFox

Posted July 27, 2012 - 10:33 PM

You Canadians are just too smart!! You caught me!! I've never rode a motorcycle, quad, mountain bike, or drove a side by side in my whole life......... And that's all I've got to say about that.........Oh I did work at a bakery a long time ago and I did stir a pot when I worked there.

Yup just Canadians.We dont start wars but certain people ask us to finish them

• Bandit9

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Canada was in a War???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BFox

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Canada was in a War???

1812 was an interesting year

• Bandit9

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yes indeed it was. Just messing with you.

• tomerb

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Was 1812 the year the French took over half of Canada?

• BFox

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Have you ever had poutine?

• tomerb

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:07 AM

No, but it sounds good!!

Have you ever had.........In-N-Out Burger?

• BFox

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:15 AM

No just a Carls Jr I think it was

So how is the WR compared to the Honda? No BS

• tomerb

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:20 AM

I like them both but if you had to ride them the way they come from the factory (to keep it California green sticker legal) the Honda is not as corked up as the WR and it would be the best choice.

I have both of mine uncorked and jetted and there's really no difference how they run on the trails. I like the way they both of them handle on the trail much better compared to my 2011WR

In a drag race on asphalt my 2011 WR and the 2012 Honda are dead even but the 2012 WR pulls both of them by five lengths from 30-70 MPH

The 2011 WR seat is very hard, the 2012 WR seat is very nice and the 2012 Honda is just slightly better then the WR and I can't complain about either of the seats on the 2012s they are far better than the 2011 WR seat.

Air filter R&R on the Honda sucks!! The WR is much easier to R&R the filter. Access to both is easy just open the door and there they are but Honda is like getting 20 pounds of you know what into a 10 pound bag.

The Honda vibrates more than the WR but changing the bars and putting hand guards on helped a bunch and makes it much more enjoyable to ride. Yea the WR vibrates some but nothing like the Honda did.

Jetting to make them run right is way easier on the WR but you have to pay for that convenience.The GYTR tuner and programmable ECU for the WR over $300. Changing jets in the Honda cost me under $25 and you can do it without removing the carburetor. Just need to remove the gas tank loosen the clamps and turn it sideways and take the float bowl off and change jets including the leak jet. So under an hour for the Honda and around ten minutes for the WR and no dirty fingers

From the foot pegs to top of seat both measure 21.5 inches

Starting goes to the Honda, it will start first try nine out of ten times. The WR will start first try six out of ten times. And at times they both can be hard to start.

Edited by tomerb, August 01, 2012 - 02:46 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.