05 wr450 has a few issues, anybody got a tissue ?

11 replies to this topic
  • still2smokin

Posted July 25, 2012 - 03:53 PM

My bike has a couple issues I need to fix and any feedback would be great.

1. The starter ( I know, common problem and I have searched ) makes that horrible screaching noise
and now wont turn the motor over more than twice w/o slipping/screaching. On some days while riding
the starter works perfectly but now its eff'd. I even hear the noise for a second when I shut the
bike off ?!?! I dont wanna drop the $130 on the starter clutch ( one way bearing ) if thats not it .

Q . Does the screaching mean that its the starter clutch or the starter itself ?

2. I have the " TPS surge " problem, atleast I think thats what it is. Most people's surge that I have read about
is from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle but mine is more like 1/16th throttle or just barely open, which is a PITA
when doing slow technical stuff in first. If I add more throttle it goes away . I did all the tests to the TPS in the
book and everthing was well within limts. so I bumped up the TPS voltage ( everthing connected and
bike running ) from .69 volts to the top of the range to .78 volts .

Q. Is running at the top of the range for volts a bad idea ?

Any help is awesome !

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 26, 2012 - 07:40 AM

I had the problem with the screeching and slipping starter in my 05. Mine behaved just like yours did. In my case, it was the starter damper and not the starter clutch. It wasn't seated properly and the teeth of the starter wouldn't grab it. I loosened the bolts to the ignition cover,assy, including the one under the damper. Then I got a hammer and tapped on the edges of the ignition cover to make sure that it sat firmly against the starter. Although it looked good, it really wasn't. After I tapped it to make it flush, I could tell that the damper was setting more firmly against the teeth on the starter. I tightened the bolts and it started right up. No problem... Try this first.

2. the surge problem... try adjusting the size of your leak jet. If the stock is a 40, then go to a 50. That may be your problem.

I may or may not be right

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:58 PM

That horrible screeching sound normally means the bushing in the back of the starter motor is dry, worn out, and screaming for mercy.

The second poster got lucky if the screeching stopped after what he did, but I suspect it will start doing it again before long.

• still2smokin

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:42 PM

I had the problem with the screeching and slipping starter in my 05. Mine behaved just like yours did. In my case, it was the starter damper and not the starter clutch. It wasn't seated properly and the teeth of the starter wouldn't grab it. I loosened the bolts to the ignition cover,assy, including the one under the damper. Then I got a hammer and tapped on the edges of the ignition cover to make sure that it sat firmly against the starter. Although it looked good, it really wasn't. After I tapped it to make it flush, I could tell that the damper was setting more firmly against the teeth on the starter. I tightened the bolts and it started right up. No problem... Try this first.

2. the surge problem... try adjusting the size of your leak jet. If the stock is a 40, then go to a 50. That may be your problem.

I may or may not be right

Thanks I will check the damper out for sure . My leak came stock with a 50 and
changed it to a 40 . The surge is just like turning a light switch on and off on the ignition
even though I am holding a constant throttle position.

That horrible screeching sound normally means the bushing in the back of the starter motor is dry, worn out, and screaming for mercy.

The second poster got lucky if the screeching stopped after what he did, but I suspect it will start doing it again before long.

I assumed it was the starter bushing at first, but the same noise happens when the bike
is running and I shut it off, on the last revolution the motor makes, I hear that damn noise.
Thats the only reason I am thiking its not the bushing .

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I assumed it was the starter bushing at first, but the same noise happens when the bike
is running and I shut it off, on the last revolution the motor makes, I hear that damn noise.
Thats the only reason I am thiking its not the bushing .

I have had that exact same behavior... what happens is when the engine winds down that
last bit of rotation also turns the starter a bit and makes it screech.

Bushings. all day long. Done this three times now on three separate WR450s. :)

Confirmed it when I removed one of the screeching starters and hooked it to a battery
and it still sounded like a herd of cats caught in machinery.

The starter will also need brushes. Relatively cheap from Yamaha on those.

• still2smokin

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Where can I get bushings from ? I thought they were not available from yamaha
but some people have rigged up some by makking one "fit" thats close.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Take a look here at the other recent discussion about WR450 starters:

http://www.thumperta...r-my-07-wr-450/

• still2smokin

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Back to issue # 2 - Surge, I am convinced its not the TPS because I have tried bumping up
the volts to different settings with no change at all.

So I take the carb off to look for a circut plugged or something and find this.......

Posted Image
What the ?? That cant be normal right ? All the crap on the inside of the slide cover cant be good.

The bike idles great, top end pull is kickass but just off of idle taking off, it will die out or when in just one
gear lower than I should be in it does the same thing . Its like the light switch is being turned off and then on
then of and so for till it dies. If I twist the throttle even just a little it barks back to life with a vengence.

Checked the valves -all with in spec.

Jets- main 168
pilot 48
start 65
leak 40
R&D feul screw 1.75 out
JD red needle 5 out of 7 positions down from top
problem is same from 600 ft elevation 6000 ft

Oh yeah and the fuel bowl is empty after sitting for more than 2 days,
Changed the bowl gasket and the drain screw looks fine, but always seems to leak
out any gas left in the bowl.

Any ideas ?

• MANIAC998

Posted September 25, 2012 - 03:27 AM

Well, you live in California, so perhaps the fuel is evaporating out in two days? I doubt it, but maybe. Otherwise, it's leaking out of the fuel drain screw, as that's the lowest point.

And from what you describe, I don't believe your having the "stutter" issue. My '06 WR has the "stutter" issue whenever your street riding it, as that would be the only time you can tell because your at a steady throttle opening and bored to death at the same time! This gives your mind a chance to wander and "search" for something wrong or usually un-noticable, because that is how subtle the TPS stutter is. Barely perceptible, in most cases!
Maniac

• beernutt

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Really 'lightswitchy' off-idle power transition is usually jetting related, usually on the lean side. Do you have an adjustable fuel screw? If so, turn it out (richer) by 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if it helps the abrupt power delivery. If so, you are running too lean off the idle jet/pilot jet. Sometimes you can get away with only adjusting the fuel screw, sometimes you have to go with a larger pilot jet.

If you don't have an adjustable fuel screw, get one. That and the JD kit are all I ever needed for my WRs.

While you're at it, check the accelerator pump. An out-of-adjustment one will mask or enhance other problems.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm

Edited by beernutt, September 25, 2012 - 07:31 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 25, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Your carb vents are routed down below the frame, un filtered, I bet.
Everytime you stall the motor, you suck dirt up into the carb.
Re route the vents and filter them.

• still2smokin

Posted September 25, 2012 - 09:16 PM

While you're at it, check the accelerator pump. An out-of-adjustment one will mask or enhance other problems

I previously installed the Merge racing AP spring and reset the AP squirt timing, at least I think I got set right.
Posted Image
http://s670.photobuc...rent=MOV018.mp4 < link to vid of AP squirt.

Your carb vents are routed down below the frame, un filtered, I bet.
Everytime you stall the motor, you suck dirt up into the carb.
Re route the vents and filter them.

I also had routed the two upward pointing vent hoses up and dump down behind the radiators, unfiltered
of course. I will remedy that directly.

Gonna check all the passages again and try adjusting the fuel screw again, then move on to
the needle clip position I guess.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.