13/50

8 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:00 PM

had my first ride sunday with trying new gearing for the first time. love the 13/50 gearing combo. i can ride in second and third now on the trails (used to be alot of first gear riding). much more user friendly gearing. great overall power. i did lose quite a bit on top though. i ran it for a stretch down a long road to see how it does through the gears. i actually suprised myself. i thought i was in fourth and went to shift again. i was actually topped out in fifth. actually had to stop to double check. yup sure enough fifth gear. not necessarily a bad thing. rarely do i ride balls out. harldy ever actually. but so much more user friendly gearing on the trails. in first on the steep down hills the bike would just slowly go down using engine compression. never have to touch the brakes. so far i like it. might try a 13/49 or 13/48 later if i do need that little extra up top, but i doubt it. if you have been considering it, give it a try. front cs sprockets are quite cheap! :)

• Thommo_400f

Posted July 24, 2012 - 12:32 AM

I would recommend trying a 14 on front rather than messing with the back.
5 min job. No chain length issues and about a 3 tooth back equivalent.
I had a 14/50 on my previous bike and it was pretty much he perfect mix for fire trails and occasional Tarmac link roads.

• The Hopper Show

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:47 PM

I would recommend trying a 14 on front rather than messing with the back. 5 min job. No chain length issues and about a 3 tooth back equivalent. I had a 14/50 on my previous bike and it was pretty much he perfect mix for fire trails and occasional Tarmac link roads.

so you recommend i go back to stock which is where i just changed from? :)

• Thommo_400f

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Actually what I am suggesting is rather than waste a bunch of time pulling your back wheel off....buy a few front sprockets 12,13,14,15 and then it's a quick change from road riding to bush riding without significantly affecting chain length. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duggram

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:09 PM

so you recommend i go back to stock which is where i just changed from? :)

My 2012 came with 13/50. Why would you have 14/50 stock?

BTW I have 15/48 on now. 48 makes the chain adjustment right. I can still go back to 13 if I want and there's a 16 on order now. But I do have to admit that 15/48 is just fine on the street and moderate hill trails.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 24, 2012 - 05:35 PM

My 2012 came with 13/50. Why would you have 14/50 stock?

BTW I have 15/48 on now. 48 makes the chain adjustment right. I can still go back to 13 if I want and there's a 16 on order now. But I do have to admit that 15/48 is just fine on the street and moderate hill trails.

The steel framed wr's (before 2007) came with 14/50 stock. The aluminum framed ones came with 13/50 stock. The final gearing is the same on both of those, so its just a different point of reference.

I have an 05. If its a technical ride, I like the 14/48 because it makes first gear a lot more usable. But I do have to clutch a lot on the second gear trails. 14/50 is a lot more snappy and jumpy on the low end. I have to cover the clutch to smooth it out if my rpms drop. In the open desert, I like the slightly taller gearing. otherwise, I like the 50 sprocket on the rear. It depends on my mood and where I will ride.

I find the really high speed stuff really boring, so top end gearing is never an issue for me.

• The Hopper Show

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:16 PM

The steel framed wr's (before 2007) came with 14/50 stock. The aluminum framed ones came with 13/50 stock.

this^

I have an 05. If its a technical ride, I like the 14/48 because it makes first gear a lot more usable.

doesnt going down on the rear sprocket give you taller gearing thus making first gear LESS useable? for instance going down one in front is the same as going up three in rear? so 13/50 is roughly the same as 14/53? i found going down one tooth made first gear MORE usable for the technical tight stuff.

so on a 2005 bike, a 14/48 combo would give you a taller first gear, making first feel a bit more like second gear comparitively to stock gearing. or am i thinking totally backwards? dropping a tooth on the front made my first gear feel more like a granny gear, and has allowed me to use second and third alot more. however, the trade off is i lost top end speed. i am going much slower than before when tapped out in fifth.

Edited by The Hopper Show, July 24, 2012 - 06:17 PM.

• Bandit9

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:33 PM

On the 06, I liked 14/51 for racing, 14/50 for everything else like trail working, Dual Sporting, trail riding with buds. 14/50 has an annoying gap b/t the end of 2nd and the begining of 3rd.

On the 09, I find that gap doesn't exist. 13/50 is a perfect do it all set up. In Ark I rode the singletrack of the Trainrobbers enduro trail for 3 days in June helping the club. Rode the Colorado section of the TAT a few weeks later, then a good trail ride in La last weekend. 13/50 worked well for me in all those conditions.

Ratios sure feel different to me b/t 09 and 06. I'm surprised to read that they are the same.

Edited by Bandit9, July 24, 2012 - 07:36 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:07 PM

this^

doesnt going down on the rear sprocket give you taller gearing thus making first gear LESS useable? for instance going down one in front is the same as going up three in rear? so 13/50 is roughly the same as 14/53? i found going down one tooth made first gear MORE usable for the technical tight stuff.

so on a 2005 bike, a 14/48 combo would give you a taller first gear, making first feel a bit more like second gear comparitively to stock gearing. or am i thinking totally backwards? dropping a tooth on the front made my first gear feel more like a granny gear, and has allowed me to use second and third alot more. however, the trade off is i lost top end speed. i am going much slower than before when tapped out in fifth.

Actually, on the really technical trails where I am in first gear a lot, 14/50 really just digs a hole. With 14/48, I can actually creep forward for a while in first with no real feathering of the clutch. The slightly taller gearing makes 1st gear a lot less twitchy and smoothes out the ride. The good thing about the wr is that the low end is plenty strong enough for slightly higher gearing in the technical stuff.

All of this stuff is really subjective. But this is what works for me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.