New Radiators but hose is diff. size

2 replies to this topic
  • Digger01

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi All,

I just got some new radiators for the 426 and the connections are a little smaller. The hoses going thru the fram is 1/2" but when I hook up the radiator to the motor is is to small 1/2" on the radiators and 5/8" on the motor. Can I just use 1/2" and just stretch it over the water pump connection? can I use/make a adaptor?

do I need to buy new hoses? is there a temporary fix.

Radiators are GPI ordered of that bay site, I selected the wtrac cooling ones and they mounted up nice but the hoses are an issure.

Thanks in advance for any help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • corndog

Posted July 23, 2012 - 02:22 PM

If these are Chinese radiators, I've read this before. You could use a 1/2" to 5/8" barb fitting adapter, but I would probably just try to stretch the 1/2" hose onto the 5/8" fitting. I haven't read of any ill side effects with the China radiators (other than this type of fitment), but when your reduce an orifice, you decrease flow and increase pressure. I'm not sure what kind of effect that will have on temperature, but it's worth monitoring with one of the temp stickers. I would proceed with caution, but proceed nonetheless.

• luckyguy19

Posted August 12, 2012 - 07:05 PM

I rad into this same problem on my 10 YZ450F. I just went down to checker to buy the next size larger coolant hose. Everything went on easy after that. The Radiators look nice and are quite a bit larger than stock.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.