Burned up my clutch

3 replies to this topic
  • WAyz450rider

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hey guys,

After riding 2-strokes for years I decided to see what all the hype was about and bought a 2007 yz450f which is my first four stroke. I took it out riding a few times (mainly just big open putt around areas) but last week I took it to a pretty technical ORV park. After riding for a few hours I completely burned up the clutch on a steep trail. The trail was pretty steep but I have done steeper trails than this on 2-stroke bikes before and never had any issues or problems.

I bought a replacement clutch kit and took it to the shop to make sure I didn't do more damage but now I am a bit paranoid that I'll burn it up again!

Are overheating clutches a common problem on four strokes?? Should I switch[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"] the stock sprockets ([/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]13/49) to a 13/52? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would appreciate any advice, comments, and/or tips you could provide![/font][/color]

• hondacr250GUY

Posted July 23, 2012 - 12:40 AM

4 strokes get alot hotter than a 2 stroke. there is way more moving parts, to generate heat. and alot of 4 strokes, run the same oil, through the tranny and the motor, unlike honda with two seperate resiviors. you bought an 07, im willing to bet the clutch was going when you bought it, or was at least well worn. overheating a clutch isnt very common, and due to high heats, you cant feather them like a 2 stroke. so if your ridding it pretty hard id gear the bike down, so your not ridding the clutch as much. make sure you use conventinal, or semi synthetic oil in that bike, alot of bikes burn clutches with synthetics because the oil is too slipery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ikis86

Posted July 23, 2012 - 01:51 AM

4 strokes get alot hotter than a 2 stroke. there is way more moving parts, to generate heat. and alot of 4 strokes, run the same oil, through the tranny and the motor, unlike honda with two seperate resiviors. you bought an 07, im willing to bet the clutch was going when you bought it, or was at least well worn. overheating a clutch isnt very common, and due to high heats, you cant feather them like a 2 stroke. so if your ridding it pretty hard id gear the bike down, so your not ridding the clutch as much. make sure you use conventinal, or semi synthetic oil in that bike, alot of bikes burn clutches with synthetics because the oil is too slipery.

good info but woah man the ammount of commas made your post difficult to read. Like it was being explained by the asthmatic wheelchair kid from malcom in the middle lol

• hondacr250GUY

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:50 AM

good info but woah man the ammount of commas made your post difficult to read. Like it was being explained by the asthmatic wheelchair kid from malcom in the middle lol

haha thats good. well i hope i helped at least!!! I, mean, i, hope, i, helped. at. least.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.