which tire?

9 replies to this topic
  • rotax800

Posted July 22, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Am i correct in my determination that the stock front tire on my bike "dunlop 80/100-21 51m" is garbage? just seems like most of my issues are now coming from this tire. Ride in mostly loose to intermediate terrain and am looking for an alternate. feel free to chime in on what your running, front and rear, and any findings or recomendations, oh ya my rear is a dunlop geomax 120/80-19.
Thanks

• n16ht5

Posted July 22, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Try a pirelli xcmh front.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2012 - 06:56 AM

"80/100-21 51M" is the size and weight range. Doesn't tell what specific tire it is. But if it's the 742FA, then it's true that it's a pretty flaky tire. Your stock rear should be an MX51.

I run a Dunlop 952 (80/100-21) on mine as a desert tire in SoCal.

• Gunner354

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Am i correct in my determination that the stock front tire on my bike "dunlop 80/100-21 51m" is garbage? just seems like most of my issues are now coming from this tire. Ride in mostly loose to intermediate terrain and am looking for an alternate. feel free to chime in on what your running, front and rear, and any findings or recomendations, oh ya my rear is a dunlop geomax 120/80-19.
Thanks

Michelin ms3

• FinchFan194

Posted July 22, 2012 - 12:03 PM

Like gunner I run Michelin Starcross MS3 fronts or MH3 fronts for a harder terrain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZPaGuy

Posted July 23, 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think it really depends on terrain and what you are doing with the bike. I race my 08 YZ450 in Hare Scrambles. We race everything from sand to gnarly rocks. I run a Bridgestone 404 in the rear and a Bridgestone 403 in the front. I have tried some other front tires but my bike won't turn as good with the others so I have come back to the 403 in front. As far as a rear tire I fond the 404 is a good all around tire. It's noy optimal in the gnarly rocks or in soft sand but is decent. I have found that a rear tire needs knobbies that are closer together in the grnarly rocks and knobbies that are further apart in the sand. This is all compared to the Bridgestone 404. I am getting extra rims set up so I can just run different tires depending on the race terrain but for the average rider I think you will be happy with the Bridgestone 404 and 403

The bridgestone gives pretty good wear depending on terrain also. Sand, dirt and light rocks it last well. In gnarly rocks it gets chewed up faster but that is to be expected with a 450 as it is spinning allot.

I have run the MX51 and I did not like it at all. The bike wants to push through berms and wash out rather fast. I have an almost brand new MX51 in my shop that I am going to give away. My mechanic swears by them but he doesn't ride a 450. I don't think they are trash tires as I know allot of guys that love them but I have had no luck with them on my 450. Hope this helps.

By the way. I added the rear tire info as I have found the rear tire makes a huge difference with steering and the overall handling of the bike.

• wvhunter

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:44 AM

does anyone here know anything about the kenda sand mad rear?

• n16ht5

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Ill give ya $40 to ship me that mx51... front right? I dont mind them for dry terrain

• rotax800

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:51 PM

I think it really depends on terrain and what you are doing with the bike. I race my 08 YZ450 in Hare Scrambles. We race everything from sand to gnarly rocks. I run a Bridgestone 404 in the rear and a Bridgestone 403 in the front. I have tried some other front tires but my bike won't turn as good with the others so I have come back to the 403 in front. As far as a rear tire I fond the 404 is a good all around tire. It's noy optimal in the gnarly rocks or in soft sand but is decent. I have found that a rear tire needs knobbies that are closer together in the grnarly rocks and knobbies that are further apart in the sand. This is all compared to the Bridgestone 404. I am getting extra rims set up so I can just run different tires depending on the race terrain but for the average rider I think you will be happy with the Bridgestone 404 and 403

The bridgestone gives pretty good wear depending on terrain also. Sand, dirt and light rocks it last well. In gnarly rocks it gets chewed up faster but that is to be expected with a 450 as it is spinning allot.

I have run the MX51 and I did not like it at all. The bike wants to push through berms and wash out rather fast. I have an almost brand new MX51 in my shop that I am going to give away. My mechanic swears by them but he doesn't ride a 450. I don't think they are trash tires as I know allot of guys that love them but I have had no luck with them on my 450. Hope this helps.

By the way. I added the rear tire info as I have found the rear tire makes a huge difference with steering and the overall handling of the bike.

thanks, this does help

• YZPaGuy

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ill give ya $40 to ship me that mx51... front right? I dont mind them for dry terrain

LOL....I'm too lazy or I would sell them on ebay or craigslist. I have a couple buddies that run there tires until they are bald. They eat my tires up. I only run a tire for 2 or 3 races depending on how much practice I get. I put a rear on the last weekend in June and had to replce it by the second week in July. Once they loose the sharp edge on the front of the tread they are shot for racing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.