Rebuilding a YZ400f as a woods bike

2 replies to this topic
  • TheDude1973

Posted July 20, 2012 - 11:02 PM

So I've gone back and fourth with my 99 yz. There's nothing wrong with it, and I can't sell it for much over a grand.

I was originally gonna downsize to a wr250r. But I think this bike can be converted to a woods/trail bike fairly easy.

What sort of additional regular maintenance ( beyond what any other trail bike) does it need on a regular basis? Someone commented in an other thread that the yz needs more routine work than the wr, but I'm not sure what that entails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • electric outlaw

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:45 AM

I just picked up a 99 yz400f and have been woods/trail riding it. The only thing I have done is gear it down and went to a synthetic oil. It over heats prety easy though so I am looking into a fan for the radaitor. But I have only had it for a few weeks.

• rdefonce

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:18 AM

So I've gone back and fourth with my 99 yz. There's nothing wrong with it, and I can't sell it for much over a grand.

I was originally gonna downsize to a wr250r. But I think this bike can be converted to a woods/trail bike fairly easy.

What sort of additional regular maintenance ( beyond what any other trail bike) does it need on a regular basis? Someone commented in an other thread that the yz needs more routine work than the wr, but I'm not sure what that entails.

Your 99 yz400 should need NO MORE maintenance than any other bike would.

I bought one new in '99, sold it in 2008, it was very reliable, no problems. I only had to adjust the valves once in 8 years! (I didn't ride it every weekend, but it probably did have ~200 hours on it.)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.