How to improve front brakes on Yamaha's

29 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I can't do 1 finger stoppies. I use 2 for hard braking.

I found the brakes on KTM's too touchy. Strong yes, too strong sometimes.

When I first got my KTM a year ago, I though it was too touchy. I went over the bars twice in the first twenty minutes. Then I realized I could use one finger to bring the bike to a stop. That... .is how its supposed to be!

i can control it now... no problem.

One finger braking and clutching... Doesn't that sound attractive?

• Bandit9

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Brakes are fine for me. I try not to use them, they slow me down.

• Bandit9

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Would an oversize rotor kit do the trick? I have never used on, but have never seen a bad review on them.

• BDubb106

Posted August 08, 2012 - 03:11 AM

Would an oversize rotor kit do the trick? I have never used on, but have never seen a bad review on them.

I have only used the "floating" style... Yes they improve performance but they get a sloppy feel to them when used on the track after only a short period of time. If I could find a solid oversize kit, I would give it another shot. The right set up (maybe a Galfer or other high quality setup) may do the trick though.

Im storing my buddies bike for him while he's away at college and it only sees the trails from time to time just to keep things moving inside and the brakes (floating rotor included) work rather well on his. I dont use his brakes as aggressively because quite frankly, trees scare the crap outta me so I dont push my luck in the stick, not the case with my bikes that get the snot beat outta them on the track.

• Bandit9

Posted August 08, 2012 - 04:40 AM

I never knew that there was two styles?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BDubb106

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:00 AM

I dont know if there is either in regaurds to the oversize kits... the normal rotors you can get either a floating rotor or a solid rotor. The floating rotors often give a sloppy feeling pretty quick that is fixed by "smashing" the pins down to tighten them back up. The alternative is to switch to a solid rotor which that doesnt become an issue.

• Bandit9

Posted August 08, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Funny how some of us are more sensitive about different things. I never notice my front brake feel. Feels the same all the time to me. I bleed and change out the fluid quite often though, like every 15 hrs or before an Enduro, and like fresh pads, so maybe the feel is consistent b/c of that.

I'm sensitive to tire pressures, can feel when it is just 1-2 pounds off.

I think after the YZ fork swap I'm in the middle of, I'm going to try an oversize front brake kit. This thread has increased my awareness of how beneficial this would be.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 09, 2012 - 02:10 AM

I used to like my front brake being very "mushy" and hard to lock up. This way it never washed out the front tire. But as my speed has increased, the need for a stronger front brake has become much more important to me. Now, mine is definately more aggresive, and you've got to watch what your doing with it. Still isn't one finger though. Might have to try that Honda master cylinder. Maniac

• BDubb106

Posted August 09, 2012 - 05:17 AM

Funny how some of us are more sensitive about different things. I never notice my front brake feel. Feels the same all the time to me. I bleed and change out the fluid quite often though, like every 15 hrs or before an Enduro, and like fresh pads, so maybe the feel is consistent b/c of that.

I'm sensitive to tire pressures, can feel when it is just 1-2 pounds off.

I think after the YZ fork swap I'm in the middle of, I'm going to try an oversize front brake kit. This thread has increased my awareness of how beneficial this would be.

Its def interesting what we are sensitive to. I do all that as well... I change fluid every 10 hours. Im not extremely sensitive to tire pressures though, I cant tell the difference in 1 or 2 lbs up front, but dont notice the rear as much unless its extremely dry and hardpack or its got WAY too much pressure in it.

Fresh pads are a must as well. I keep a set or two on the work bench so they can be changed as soon as I notice a decrease in performance. Rotors and pads are also deglazed after every ride. There is alot of room for improvement. I never realized how bad the Yamaha brakes were until I started playing with different set ups. My results were the same as Maniac's... the Yamaha stuff was "good enough" then I got faster and felt the need for a little more performance, then a little more, then a little more. The honda set up and a solid rotor was the solution for me at a fraction of the price of an oversize kit. I've also heard that the RMZ set up is a very nice mod as well.

Edited by BDubb106, August 09, 2012 - 05:17 AM.

• BIG_FAT_&_SLOW

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hey guys just came across this post. I just purchased a ebc 280mm oversized rotor kit for my yz 250f. My brakes were never bad but I was just looking for a little more. This kit is flat amazing the stopping power is nuts. It is true one finger breaking and barely using any finger pressure. I made it through its first enduro with no problems. One surprising side effect was the lack of arm pump at the beginning of the race. I guess because it takes so little pressure to actuate that it keeps my hand looser on the bars. Rocky mountainn has a sweet kit that I'd buy and it's priced awesome but I just happened to come across this kit cheap. All my yammis will have this going forward

Edited by BIG_FAT_&_SLOW, August 18, 2012 - 05:56 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.