Wide Ratio Gears! But no six speed.

282 replies to this topic
  • ACTman

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Wide Ratio Gears for the DRZ400 are finally available!
Posted Image

People have complained for years that the DRZ400 didn’t come with a sixth gear, and for good reason. The factory close ratio gearbox is just too limiting for the purpose of many DRZ owners, regardless of your choice of sprockets. In order to get the DRZ to cruise comfortably at 65+ mph in fifth, first gear is underpowered and ridiculously tall geared for trail riding.

So, why not a six speed transmission? A six speed modification would require an expensive total redesign of the transmission, narrowing the gears and significantly weakening the transmission. Anyone still interested? Me either. The truth is the broad powerband of the DRZ400 easily supports the new wide ratio gears so there is no need for another gear. With the help of a couple GoPro cameras and a Trail Tech you can check out the results yourself on Youtube at:
http://youtu.be/h5VyQMO9_aU
Pay close attention to the speedometer and sound of the three configurations compared in the video.
During testing on my buddy’s stock bike, I was amazed. Even in stock form, I couldn’t help but wonder why the DRZ didn’t come with these ratios to begin with. Of course it is going to be even more beneficial to those big bore owners.

Brief History: As the President of ACT, a manufacturer of racing automotive flywheels and clutches, I am fortunate to have great resources available to me. I have always been a gear-head type of guy and dirt bike enthusiast. When I was told that I couldn’t get wide ratio gears for my CRF450R, I decided to design them myself and get them manufactured. After successfully making wide ratio gears for the CRF450R, coworkers and friends convinced me to start making wide ratio gears for the DRZ400. That led to a couple years of engineering, revisions, samples, revisions, more samples, testing, more revision, more testing, tooling, packaging, instructions, etc. Finally we have wide ratio gear sets we are proud to offer the DRZ community. Please let me know what you think! I would enjoy your feedback and dialog.

Retail price is $689 for the set of eight gears (2nd thru 5th) but I am currently offering a 10% introductory discount ($620.10) and free machining of your shift forks to make the installation easier. I know that kind of investment is not for everybody. It feels a bit weird pitching a product on here (as a TT sponsor), since I see myself more as an enthusiast. Sorry for the solicitation, but I think you will like the results if you get the chance to experience it. Thanks for reading!

• Borgschulze

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Wow, this is just what I need, now where did all my money go?

This is on my list of things to buy, 100%.

• Black_DRZ

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:25 PM

That is so tempting :)
Is there much involved in machining the shift forks, for us overseas customers could you include a set of shift forks.
Pay a bit extra as security and refund our credit card when we send our shift forks back to the States.

• seemus

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Bugger! i just finished putting my 462 back in the frame after replacing 5th gear. it exploded. I would of really liked to try these!
Really dont feel like pulling it all apart again though. maybe next time......

• ACTman

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:41 PM

That is so tempting :)
Is there much involved in machining the shift forks, for us overseas customers could you include a set of shift forks.
Pay a bit extra as security and refund our credit card when we send our shift forks back to the States.

If new forks weren't so darn expensive I would just make that an regular option, but at $45-50 each at cost, not counting shipping, it isn't practical. I am a little nervous swapping cores and having to inspect and quality check each one.

We machine the shift forks on a jig so we can do it efficiently and accurately, but they can be ground to fit. It is easy to check fit and I have a video on how to check for proper clearance.

• aussiedrzguy

Posted July 18, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am looking forward to seeing how they go when I get my engine back from Eddie. Thanks for your passion Dirk.

• hpiguy

Posted July 18, 2012 - 06:22 PM

You sir are a hero for DRZ owners. I really wish I had known about this when I had my counter shaft replaced recently.

• ACTman

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:39 PM

You sir are a hero for DRZ owners. I really wish I had known about this when I had my counter shaft replaced recently.

Thanks for the props. I am no hero, but certainly a gear-head. I love the challenge of solving mechanical problems and I can't leave it alone when I know there is a lot of room for improvement.

• chindits

Posted July 18, 2012 - 10:46 PM

Interesting, how long does the discount offer last. This is prime riding season here in the Rockies, not maintenance season.

• IanInCalgary

Posted July 19, 2012 - 06:07 AM

What are the gear ratios of 2nd through 5th?

Ian

• ACTman

Posted July 19, 2012 - 08:19 AM

What are the gear ratios of 2nd through 5th?

Ian

I wanted to post the ratios last night but it was late and I didn't know how to insert a table. I tried a couple ways and finally just posted a picture of the table. I am sure there is an easier way, but I didn't have the patience to find it.

Posted Image

Below is what the shift points and speeds look like on a graph:
Posted Image

Edited by ACTman, July 19, 2012 - 09:08 AM.

• nsh29

Posted July 19, 2012 - 01:43 PM

80mph in 4th gear? Crazy!!!

• mototex

Posted July 19, 2012 - 03:08 PM

The graphs are nice. Have you put one together showing an E (14/47) before and after.

I see the after in the above, just curious how it compares to stock on the chart.

• ACTman

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:00 PM

The graphs are nice. Have you put one together showing an E (14/47) before and after.
I see the after in the above, just curious how it compares to stock on the chart.

To make up for the difference in sprockets, just take the first graph and the speed will be 88% of what it shows at any given RPM or the RPM's will be 14% higher at any given speed.

You can see from the graph and the video that the new forth gear is only slightly lower than the original fifth gear, so while riding your bike in fifth, imagine being able to shift to another gear.

• ACTman

Posted July 19, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Interesting, how long does the discount offer last. This is prime riding season here in the Rockies, not maintenance season.

I really haven't decided. I would say at least a couple months.

• DLCDRZ400SM

Posted July 19, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yes! Now im kinda glad my counter drive shaft broke LOL

• Graveyard Shift

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:29 PM

This is so on my winter upgrade list!!! How hard will the install be for the average putz?
I've never really paid attention to how the tranny is actually put together. I should be able
to do the grinding to the shift fork myself, right? International shipping can be kind of a PITA.

So what did the tooth count on the actual gears work out to? I'd like to throw the numbers
into the Gearing Commander site and play around with the sprocket counts for my SM.

Thanks for your efforts, you absolutely rock ACTman!!!!!
Mark N.

• ACTman

Posted July 19, 2012 - 09:56 PM

How hard will the install be for the average putz?
I should be able to do the grinding to the shift fork myself, right?
So what did the tooth count on the actual gears work out to? I'd like to throw the numbers
into the Gearing Commander site and play around with the sprocket counts for my SM.

If you have handled getting the cases apart, the transmission is not bad. The factory manual is pretty good and I supply decent instructions and a new transmssion diagram showing how the new gears are arranged just in case you lose track. A bench grinder or angle grinder and a bench vice will make the shift fork mods pretty straight forward. Just take it easy and check fit often so you don't remove too more material than necessary. The instructions show how to check to be sure there is enough clearance (along with a video link). If you are concerned with properly machining the two shift forks, you may want to consider having new ones drop shipped to us from a US supplier.
Here are the actual tooth counts:
2nd - 16/26
3rd - 18/22
4th - 22/20
5th - 25/17

Edited by ACTman, July 19, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

• Craig-o

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Well done guys. :) ..I will definitely give your gears some thought next time I am planning a rebuild....

• aussiedrzguy

Posted July 19, 2012 - 11:46 PM

My bike will be the guinee pig. I wonder if 15/38 gearing would let me get near 200kph. Would be good for Phillip Island.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  93 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 8 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 14 reviews
  • Last review by orundle
  • On September 19, 2014
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.