Relocating Rectifier/Regulator?

11 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted July 18, 2012 - 03:45 PM

I just lived with it on the 06, but on my new 09, I would like to hide the ugly aftermarket rectifier/regulator. It annoys me. The stock one is small and sleek looking and I don't even notice it. The one that Baja Designs, Trail Tech, or Ricky Stator sends you is a huge ugly square.

Anyone relocate theirs? Where at?

• Baja Designs

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:05 AM

I just lived with it on the 06, but on my new 09, I would like to hide the ugly aftermarket rectifier/regulator. It annoys me. The stock one is small and sleek looking and I don't even notice it. The one that Baja Designs, Trail Tech, or Ricky Stator sends you is a huge ugly square.

Anyone relocate theirs? Where at?

Where do you have it mounted now?

• Bandit9

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:12 AM

On the 09, it's still the smaller stock unit in the stock location, just above radiator on left side frame. I haven't purchased it yet, but will be soon.

I know it has to be bigger to handle the job, it just sticks out b/c of it's size.

Edited by Bandit9, July 23, 2012 - 11:17 AM.

• stevethe

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Welded an aluminum mount under the seat and mounted it there. It was a baja designs.

• Bandit9

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ahh.....that sounds good. What about drilling some holes and tapping them? Think that would mess with the frame integrity?
Thanks for the idea. You wouldn't happen to have a pic?

• stevethe

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Ahh.....that sounds good. What about drilling some holes and tapping them? Think that would mess with the frame integrity?
Thanks for the idea. You wouldn't happen to have a pic?

Not sure where your drilling the holes. I'll try to snap a pic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted July 24, 2012 - 03:18 PM

Instead of welding, i was going to drill and tap. That is if a suitable spot can be found. Those frames are really thick and I don't see why two small 3-4 mm dia holes would hurt it. I don't own a welder yet, and I just paid my son's tuition! So I don't see welding being an option anytime soon. I do have a buddy who does, but he lives 2 hrs away.

You can email the pic or text it to me. Pm me and I will send my info.

Edited by Bandit9, July 24, 2012 - 03:23 PM.

• stevethe

Posted July 24, 2012 - 04:03 PM

You might get away with small holes in the top hoop. I would do the drive or take it to a welder, shouldn't cost too much.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Bandit9

Posted July 24, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I see now. Thanks for the effort. Do you have a battery in there?

• stevethe

Posted July 24, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yes there is room for a standard battery. However I run the new smaller lightweight lithium iron batteries in all my bikes. Thats what the blue plug on top is from.

• Bandit9

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, I have a Shorai. They are an awesome product. Doesn't take a genius to predict that these new generation batteries will be OEM equipment very soon. I enjoy the look on peoples faces when I hand them a YUASA in one hand and the Shorai in the other.

• Bandit9

Posted July 24, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the help Steve.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.