What to look for when buying a wr?

8 replies to this topic
  • Tevonini

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to go look at a couple wr 400s and I'm just wondering what do I need to look for in the bike

• freeriders98

Posted July 18, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I would stay away from 98's they swicthed some stuff up on the rear wheel after that. And if you are looking at the 400/426's and can find one with a set of hotcams that makes life a lot easier not having to mess with compression relrease.

Other than that just the normal stuff. Leaks, general condition, etc. I always look at tires and chain/sprockets. Generally they will need replaced, so if you find one were someone just did that its always nice. And always want an aftermarket pipe when buying used.

• Tevonini

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Well its a 2000 wr 400 I'm going to look at on Saturday

• still2smokin

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Aside from makin sure the motor seems solid, check all the bearings for slop.

If the swingarm, linkage, shock, steering and wheel bearings are all toast like my 05 when I
bought it ... just the bearings can run you $230+. Not to mention fork bushings, seals , suspension oil
change and springs if your a fatboy like me .

None or all of these things would kill a deal in my book but will surely affect the price I am willing pay.

I say that now but honestly when I went to checkout/buy my bike , my eyes were so big and I was so excited
I only checked 1/4 of the things on my list to inspect. Maybe because I had already assumed, anything I bought
used is gonna get all new bearings , resprung and set up for me . Also maybe the fact that its a WR and
you just cant go wrong with a WR!!!!!! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tevonini

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sweet thanx! And I agree about the wr! Lol so what's the easiest way to check slop? Just to wiggle it and see how much play the bearing has Side to side right? It shouldn't a tiny bit if any at all right?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sweet thanx! And I agree about the wr! Lol so what's the easiest way to check slop? Just to wiggle it and see how much play the bearing has Side to side right? It shouldn't a tiny bit if any at all right?

Don't let bearings in the chassis stop you unless the front end falls off in front of you. Plan on changing the steering, swingarm and linkage bearings on any used bike.

Check the frame for cracks, rims for cracks, then check to see that it runs and shifts good. Any water in the oil?

Plan on changing the water pump seals also. This stuff is only a couple hundred bucks and should not be a deal breaker.

Its hard to go wrong on the WR's that's been moderately maintained.

• Tevonini

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Great thanx :)

• The Hopper Show

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:46 PM

a yz 2t :)

i keed! i keed! :D

• n16ht5

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Check the air filter. Dirty/craptacular = dont buy. Air filter tells a lot about maintenance. Look at side cover rub and frame rub for wear. Check CS sprocket, look for welded splines (sprocket welded on because of worn splines on output shaft)

Check fork tubes for scratches, nicks. Front end alignment (crash evidence)

Look for smoke from exhaust

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.