Radiator Questions

4 replies to this topic
  • scottzx7rr

Posted September 27, 2001 - 08:49 PM

Got a couple of questions after doing some work on the bike this weekend. I was cleaning the radiators and deciding if I wanted to do the mod I had read about that Ty and Hawk recommended on the 400s of stripping the paint of the rads to help keep them cooler.

So I was looking and noticed that the left radiator doesn't stick out as far as the right hand side(viewpoint from sitting on the bike). Is that normal? I don't think that it should be that way.

After looking more closely at the rads. The second one might be causing the first issue. The outside row of of fins are crushed completely in on the left rad. By just looking at it more closely did I notice it. The tanks suffered no damage or anything just that row. So would that row cause my bike to run hotter than some of my buddies 400.

I had atrributed it too riding style as I have a more abusive style than he.

And third question is there anyplace that repairs rads that anyone knows about? I didn't see any in the bike mags. And the local rad shops for cars looks at me real fully when I showed them the bikes. LOL

By the way if this thread looks flaky then it is due to the fact that I am working nights and just started back on them after being off them for a long time. LOL

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• ftw808

Posted September 27, 2001 - 11:38 PM

About the paint, I spoke with Terry Myler the other day and he said they run cooler with the paint. I was about to remove paint from mine also....even bought the aircraft paint remover.

------------------
NO SCADE.com ftw808@noscade.com Posted Image

[This message has been edited by ftw808 (edited September 28, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ftw808

Posted September 27, 2001 - 11:48 PM

Also, Terry Mylar can repair your radiator. One day turn around. His # is 1-800-367-7699.

------------------
NO SCADE.com ftw808@noscade.com

• scottzx7rr

Posted September 29, 2001 - 03:11 AM

I am not doubting you but I think that it is funny as I have seen in the mags about the paint issue(Ty and Randy removing it because of heat build up) and supposedly that is why Yamaha went to the unpainted radiators on the 2000 and newer models. Varying points of views always intrigues me.

Now I have seen the black thermal coating that some companies do to remove heat from the treated items.

Where is Terry located?????

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• ftw808

Posted September 29, 2001 - 10:13 AM

I asked the same ? about the newer models. Terry thought it was to save money or ?
his is his address:
8414 south McDowell Ct.
West Jordan, Utah 84088

------------------
<a href="http://noscade.com">Posted Image

[This message has been edited by ftw808 (edited September 29, 2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.