water in oil from crankcase moisture.

3 replies to this topic
  • wayne0

Posted July 16, 2012 - 04:45 PM

I have an 05 wr450 and have noticed a lot of milky build up on inside of starter cover and filler plug. oil dosnt look to bad, but does look like it has some water contamination, am going to pull the head and replace head and cylinder gasket, Is there anywhere alse i should also check.

cheers wayne

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:46 PM

I have an 05 wr450 and have noticed a lot of milky build up on inside of starter cover and filler plug. oil dosnt look to bad, but does look like it has some water contamination, am going to pull the head and replace head and cylinder gasket, Is there anywhere alse i should also check.

cheers wayne

Have you overheated? That would cause the headgasket to blow. At least, that's what caused mine to blow. Is your bike a bit down on power? Your engine would run, but lose a bit of the snap.

That being said, a must more probable cause of the water in the oil is the water pump seal. Change that first. Change the impeller shaft as well. It can get rusted and cause the type of contamination that you describe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONE FAST 450

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:29 AM

Their are two seals on the impeller shaft. If your going to replace anything in their you might as well replace both seals not just one.

• wayne0

Posted July 18, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hasn't overheated that i know of. doesnt feel down on power. I have marked the water level and doesnt seem to have gone down any. I will pull the waterpump this weekend. cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.