Engine relocation test?

35 replies to this topic
  • hoffman910

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:34 PM

I've read many threads regarding the engine relocation kits and I'm still skeptical at best.... I just got a 2012 450 and haven't got to ride it much yet but it seemed fine from what I did ride it the way it came set up off the floor... My question is, could someone with the kit do a small experiment for me??? Put each wheel on a separate scale and find out the weight difference on the front wheel with and with out the kit? I'm 6'1", 210lbs and am a mid to back of the pack (start in the middle, end at the back. Lol) rider and just can't see a few pounds in weight distribution change doing all that much for someone my size. My guess would be a 5-8lb net gain and I'm sure I could achieve that for less money by doubling all my washers on the front end and leaving a mud clump stuck in the frame!!!! Lol. I don't doubt it makes a difference for some riders, Im just thinking my money could be better spend on gas n tires. Any test results would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys

• asnyder2

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Interesting idea, I will see if i can find another scale. I have the light speed kit ( 2mm I think). could u post stock weight info and what all is on bike (possible weight adders), I'll post light speed kit info, and hopefully someone will post the 3 mm kit. I asked earlier if anyone has compared kits back to back but never got response. I just wondered if 3 mm could have been too much or if it is the better option. Every time I have an extra 100, its time for tires again lol.

• hoffman910

Posted July 16, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Suppose you could do it with just one scale and just measure each wheel separately? I'm just looking for some rough numbers since I couldn't find any such info from either brand. Soooo that makes me think it's not as much as you'd think.... I have a mile long list to allocate that extra $100 to!!! Haha between gear, bike, camper, trailer, truck it's kinda hard to stop!!! So is this device better than a flat screen for in the camper?? Lol

• hoffman910

Posted July 16, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Probably should block up the end not on scale to make it level if done with only one though... Was thinking of how to spend that extra $100.... Oops

• asnyder2

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Ok here it is, I had one scale so I used a phone book with a piece of plywood on top for a block and flipped pages back until same height as scale. The weight was 125 lbs on front wheel and 130 lbs on rear. I do have some things that may weigh a little more than stock, over size rads, fastway pegs, and bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes ( believe it or not these tubes probably weigh 3 times stock). Had about 3/4 tank gas. What really surprised me was how little pressure applied to handlebars is multiplied at front wheel. With one finger pushing on grip just enough to squish it, pillow top grips arw soft, equaled five lbs difference! Definately has me questioning how much I actually weight bars while riding. Let me know what stock is.

• asnyder2

Posted July 16, 2012 - 06:01 PM

I actually have a buddy that has an 09 that I am curious to see how much difference the mass centralization makes compared to his. Guess ill have to wait till the weekend though.

• hoffman910

Posted July 17, 2012 - 03:12 AM

I think to get a good idea the test would have to be on the same bike with the kit on then off, but when I get home from vacation I'll check my stock 2012 and get a ball park number!!! Thanks for trying out the idea, I'm very curious if there's a science that the factory's use to get the right amount of weight bias and how much rider input makes the same difference as a bit of weight moved.

• FinchFan194

Posted July 17, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I would think simply test riding at a track or woods are you are really familiar with would get you better results than a scale. I say it is worth the $100 risk if it is a huge improvement for ya.

• hoffman910

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well yes and no. Feel is an opinion and the scale would provide fact on what's changed. I don't like taking a shot in the dark on things unless it's free!!! Haha I just don't buy into how well it supposedly works and the manufacturers lack of specs on how much weight is actually transferred leads me to believe its less than you'd think....

• asnyder2

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I personally like it, despite what the facts may show significant or not there is a difference. I do mostly mx but try to squeeze in some trail riding at brushy once a month. The trails is where I noticed improved front grip. I always hated spots on trail with standing water. I used to wait and see what way the front end was going to go and counter act it and try to steer it where I wanted it. Mind game or not, after kit installed o didn't have issue. Same tires and all. Seemed to steer with rear a little better, but most improvement was to front. Definately made front more predictable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • asnyder2

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Anyone with 3mm willing try our weight measurement?

• luvnoldcars

Posted July 17, 2012 - 05:34 PM

these kits dont just move dead weight forward they move rotating mass and a piston thats being forced downwards. i dont think you can measure that on a scale.

p.s dr.d kit works

• asnyder2

Posted July 17, 2012 - 05:39 PM

I personally like it, despite what the facts may show significant or not there is a difference. I do mostly mx but try to squeeze in some trail riding at brushy once a month. The trails is where I noticed improved front grip. I always hated spots on trail with standing water. I used to wait and see what way the front end was going to go and counter act it and try to steer it where I wanted it. Mind game or not, after kit installed o didn't have issue. Same tires and all. Seemed to steer with rear a little better, but most improvement was to front. Definately made front more predictable.

• asnyder2

Posted July 17, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Not being smart, doesn't piston move upwards as well. So in ur theory, the bike weighs less when piston moves upwards?

• hoffman910

Posted July 18, 2012 - 03:15 AM

My buddy weighed his 2010 that is totally stock. 127.5 rear
123 front

I'm not questioning that it doesn't work, just how much... As with the weight difference you could also figure out the degrees that the motor is tilted forward, I'd guess 2-4??? And the rotating weight theory would only apply when entering a corner at high rpm's right? Well it would apply all the time but it would have a more profound effect at high rpm, like reving to bring back a whip, or an air endo.

• asnyder2

Posted July 18, 2012 - 03:38 AM

By those numbers, 49.01% weight on front wheel of my bike with 2mm kit and 49.2% on the stock un relocated bike. Something isn't right, how could mine have less weight on front with kit ? Could rear sag be another variable?

• FinchFan194

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:29 AM

By those numbers, 49.01% weight on front wheel of my bike with 2mm kit and 49.2% on the stock un relocated bike. Something isn't right, how could mine have less weight on front with kit ? Could rear sag be another variable?

Yup

• hoffman910

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm not sure how much gas he had in it, I think he has twinwall bars and folding levers too. I think to get a really good figure somebody would have to do the experiment who has the kit and is willing to take it back off and try it on their own set up to eliminate variables. Or someone who just got it and can check before putting it on?

Based on the 2 sets of numbers so far, I'd say it's either 1. more of the gyroscopic effect that gives the improved feel as mentioned above. 2. It wasn't a good variable free test. 3. Drd is making money hand over fist selling something that merely gives you a mental advantage!!!

• hoffman910

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Yup

So you could eliminate the need for the kit by adjusting the sag then?

It just seems a little fishy to me that Drd is a tester for Yamaha for many years and Yamaha hasn't addressed the issue from the factory... Did he get the idea too late to be put into production? Perhaps. Is it such a minute change that it wasn't worth it for Yamaha? Perhaps. I really just find it strange that neither company provide any facts to how much weight is transferred or how much the angle is changed...

• FZ1426

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Some relevant points.

1. I haven't seen anyone who complains about the bike actually confirm their sag is within the 95-100mm recommended by the manual.

2 The engine (reportedly) weighs 70 lbs. The lightest of riders weigh at least 140 lbs. Imagine how little effort it takes to move your body forward 3mm and double the effect of the mod instantaneously.

3. Nobody who goes through all the hassle to move the engine forward is going to say anything bad about it. They've already commited irreversible molestation to their bike.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.