Need to replace chain and sprockets

16 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Can anyone send links to websites that are recommended for the chain and sprockets? A package deal would work great.

Just over 6200km on my wr and the chain is skipping a bit

• dustdogg

Posted July 16, 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have been running the Iron Man sprockets and D.I.D X-Ring chain on both of my WR's with no complaints. Tons of miles and just a few chain adjustments are all that heve been needed. They are expensive but I don't think you will find another sprocket that will give you the life of the Iron Man. You can also order the combo from Iron Man/Dirt Tricks with a Regina chain which is also a high quality chain.
http://www.dirttrick...g_sprockets.htm

• MANIAC998

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ironman is the only way to go.
Maniac

• Stealth13

Posted July 17, 2012 - 07:23 AM

110 just for the rear? I'm not seeing any full packages

• Rot Box

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:06 AM

These are what I use: http://www.rockymoun...ld-X-Ring-Chain

I'm a recreational rider so the weight (I use the steel rears) and the lack of bling doesn't bother me. Service life has been more than outstanding on every bike I put them on.

Edited by Rot Box, July 17, 2012 - 08:07 AM.

• dustdogg

Posted July 17, 2012 - 11:24 AM

110 just for the rear? I'm not seeing any full packages

Scroll down a little more than half way down the page. You will see a heading for Regina chain and Dirt Tricks sprocket combo. It is a lot of money but you will get a lot of miles out of this set up. There are other choices out there that are also good quality but I don't have any first hand experience with them. Just don't go with an aluminum sprocket if you want it to last.

Edited by dustdogg, July 17, 2012 - 04:03 PM.

• GCannon

Posted July 17, 2012 - 01:01 PM

http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/
Good guys good prices!

• n16ht5

Posted July 17, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Primary Drive O-Ring Chain from Rockymountainatvmc for $50.. 90% of the chain of a DID X ring for half the price.. 114 link
Supersprox 48T steel rear sprocket $40 from rockymtn
Supersprox 15T steel front sprocket $20

go with that gearing. good all around for what you need. I only run Supersprox for the rear, they last forever and ever.

you can also call Supersprox direct and order their package with the lightweight rear sprocket and warranty on it.. wear out the rear sprocket and they give you a new one. They give you a cool shirt too.

I didn't do that as my chain was practically new and I was experimenting with gearing at first, but I did with my last two bikes.. 10,000mi on my XRL and the rear sprocket still looked good, went through a chain though. 4,000 of that it only got cleaned/lubed once, and saw a ton of dirt and grime.

Edited by n16ht5, July 17, 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted July 17, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I run Moose Alum 50 rear, Primary Drive front 13, (the black one with the holes in it) and Primary Drive gold x ring. I pretty much have run this set up since Primary Drive came out, never had a failure nor premature wear. It's decent stuff for a lot cheaper. I just throw a new set on every year since it's pretty cheap. I'm pretty picky about what I use on the bikes.

• Stealth13

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Might have to get a local one ... My sprocket got so bad it skips under more than 25 percent throttle

• Stealth13

Posted July 18, 2012 - 10:23 PM

So the chain they sold me broke apart at the linkage within 2 hours riding it... On the website it says max 400cc. Should I ask them for an exchange for a different chain? I specifically said wr450 and they gave me this one

• GlennR

Posted July 19, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Did you buy a sprocket & chain set ? Or did you just buy a chain?

Sounds like if it broke at the master link you probably didn't install it correctly.

Are you sure that it was the right size chain? What brand & size is it?

• Stealth13

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:01 AM

It was from Blackfoot motorsports he sold me the sprockets separately. The chain in question says 400cc max on the website.

It is a RK 520s0 O-ring chain and it says "general street use".

Usually id be more careful but this is a dealership that has always gave me the right stuff

• n16ht5

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Fail

• miweber929

Posted July 20, 2012 - 12:33 PM

The question was asked but yopu never responded, where did it break? If it was at the master link than I would say it's a 99% chance it was installed wrong. Otherwise did you replace both sprockets and when you did that (you did do this, right?) did you make sure the rear wheel is aligned correctly?

I highly doubt you "broke" the chain due to it being over-powered; more than likely your rear wheel is severely misaligned and/or your master link was not installed correctly.

• GlennR

Posted July 20, 2012 - 09:08 PM

The question was asked but yopu never responded, where did it break? If it was at the master link than I would say it's a 99% chance it was installed wrong. Otherwise did you replace both sprockets and when you did that (you did do this, right?) did you make sure the rear wheel is aligned correctly?

I highly doubt you "broke" the chain due to it being over-powered; more than likely your rear wheel is severely misaligned and/or your master link was not installed correctly.

That's exactly what I was trying to ask. Any 520 chain should be plenty strong. If it broke at the link where you connected it the connecting link was most likely improperly installed. If the chain wasn't damaged when it broke loose, just get a new master link and try it again.

• Stealth13

Posted July 20, 2012 - 10:54 PM

They fixed it for free at the dealer, they also noticed my wheel bearing was screwed so I got the kit and took a few hours to replace that

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.