gear to start in

3 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted September 27, 2001 - 01:02 PM

What gear do you all start the race in? I haven't started a race yet but I'm thinking of using 3rd. It seems like 2nd would spin to much to be worth while. The track where I would race has a short cement starting pad and the first strait is what I would consider medium to soft dirt.

Thanks!

• Bill

Posted September 27, 2001 - 03:13 PM

I have been practicing my starts and per an article I read. I use 2nd, both feet in front of the pegs and leave them there until I have to shift. Use the clutch to reduce wheel spin and if you can, use your heel to kick it into 3rd and then feet back on the pegs. Not that I can even come close but, I'm a try'n.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted September 27, 2001 - 05:17 PM

Depends how long the start straight is. On a long start I use third but, it takes alot of practice to get it right. On shorter starts I use second as I can usually stay in second while the 2 strokes have to shift.

The bottom line....practice...practice and more practice.

Ernie

------------------
Life is too short, work hard...play hard
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing

• Boit

Posted September 27, 2001 - 09:24 PM

Second gear is what I've settled on. Since I pay for all my own expenses and I'll never be a pro, it's not worth the extra clutch wear to use 3rd gear on starts.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.