Air Filter...aftermkt or OEM ?

26 replies to this topic
  • SMP

Posted October 03, 2001 - 12:18 PM

I have a K&N filter on my 01 426 and it works great, I ride only in the dunes so I use a K&N prefilter, which restricts by 10%, but the filter is 30% better than the stock one, so I am 20% up. You do not oil the pre filter, so the sand and dirt do not stick to it like some other prefilters. The prefilter also helps deflect the water.

No complaints here.

Also, I was previously fouling plugs on occassion, the K&N has seemed to balance things out....haven't fouled since.

• DOC

Posted October 03, 2001 - 08:07 PM

was there any difference in power compared to the standard filter? I know that they flow better than the standard units, but if there isn't a obvious difference out on the track, i don't think ill get one, especially since i already have a aftermarket filter.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 04, 2001 - 03:23 AM

SMP, does the prefilter work with a reg. K&N filter? THX.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SMP

Posted October 08, 2001 - 06:05 PM

DOC, the filter did seem to help out a little...more air more power.

Franky, yes the prefilter is made by K&N for thier filter.

I like the K&N much better than the stock setup, especially with the prefilter...hardly any maintenance, just dust off or rinse the prefilter after riding.

• yzf

Posted October 09, 2001 - 02:18 PM

the stock filter looks like something to wash dishes with (i don't even know if i would use them for that)if you ask me ,i highly recomend the twin air filters i have used them on all of my bikes seince my 1982 rm125 and always had very good results (long top end wear with no sign on dirt entry) i wouldn't use anything else and no i don't work for twin air

• DOC

Posted October 11, 2001 - 07:42 PM

there is a good post in the WR400/426 forum regarding the use of the K&N filter. You probaly already know....

Posted October 12, 2001 - 08:27 AM

Uni is the best i have found!!!

No Toil is a waste of time and $$$ You must use there oil and cleaner or it will fall apart... I tested it!

Stock is good!

Twin air is good too!

But UNI is the way to go!!!

2 piece design makes cleaning it easier!

switchin to crf450 soon!

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.