2004 yz450 piston has rotational "play", this normal?

2 replies to this topic
  • coop63

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:01 AM

Replaced the valve stem seals but had to take the head off. Inspected the piston to find that i can move it a little side to
side within the cylinder wall, but seems strange that i can move it back and forth in a rotational direction as well. Clockwise and counterclockwise.
No performance issues whatsoever, and the cylinder wall is slick as glass. Could this indicate wear at the top of the connecting rod where the wrist pin
inserts? Or this could be totally normal, service manual made no mention of this. Any ideas? I wouldn't think its normal. Just wondering because if the connecting rod is going bad, i would rather replace it now since half the engine is torn down. And if so is the OEM rod the best? Would also entertain the idea of a big bore kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:37 AM

The rotation is normal to an extent, and is mostly a function of rod bearing clearance. The manual does offer info regarding how to check the rod bearing clearance. It's done by measuring the amount that the small end can be rocked back and forth on the crank (NOT slid side to side, which is bearing side clearance). If you're concerned. you should pull the cylinder and check.

• coop63

Posted July 13, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Everything else seems in good shape. Just replaced the valve stem seals (had to remove the head). Mega amounts of carbon buildup and even an oily residue on top of the piston. Valves were all within spec, and passed the solvent leak test. Cleaned everything, re-assembled, and it started on the second kick. If the time comes to really go internally, will probably do a total head rebuild and big bore kit. Will just ride and enjoy for now, and thanks for the info!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.