Just bought a WR450F :)

11 replies to this topic
  • chriscasha

Posted July 10, 2012 - 02:48 AM

I just bough my WR450F yay!

So I have the button start but I don't like that for the fact that someone could just press the button on my bike and go with it :) So I have the key barrel and would like to change it so how do I swap the button start to the key switch? I feel its another safety precaution :D

Thanks, it's a 2008 model btw :D

Can't wait to ride it :lol: yayayayay

• MANIAC998

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:03 AM

Do a search, and lots of good info will show up. Congrats on the bike! And Welcome to the Yamaha fraternity!!!
Maniac

• Stealth13

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just bough my WR450F yay!

So I have the button start but I don't like that for the fact that someone could just press the button on my bike and go with it :) So I have the key barrel and would like to change it so how do I swap the button start to the key switch? I feel its another safety precaution :D

Thanks, it's a 2008 model btw :D

Can't wait to ride it :lol: yayayayay

Just get a disc brake alarm for 23 bucks shipped and use that. If the bike is moved it gives a quick warning, then after the alarm goes

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 10, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just get a disc brake alarm for 23 bucks shipped and use that. If the bike is moved it gives a quick warning, then after the alarm goes

My thoughts exactly.... Don't go messing with the electrical system.

• Bandit9

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Nice buy. Welcome to the fold.

• chriscasha

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:28 PM

The thing is, my bike is at my grandparents house so yeah it will need every deterrent possible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chriscasha

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Nice buy. Welcome to the fold.

• chriscasha

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:52 PM

My thoughts exactly.... Don't go messing with the electrical system.

Again, its not at my house so if someone wants it, i'm f***ed.

I have the keyed ignition sitting here right now and it has a sort of how do you say, it looks like an 8 pin cpu power cord for a pc motherboard if you know what I mean? kind of like this;

Posted Image

• Billy450

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:40 PM

On my wr450 07 there was a plug under the dash that connected to the on/off button (next to the dash) that the keyed ignition plugs into. Simply changing a push button for the key switch

• allterra

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:11 AM

If it is semi long term week or so just disconect the switch. 1 screw. I have a magnetic reed switch on mine so all I have to do is pull the little magnet and it will run.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Again, its not at my house so if someone wants it, i'm f***ed.

I have the keyed ignition sitting here right now and it has a sort of how do you say, it looks like an 8 pin cpu power cord for a pc motherboard if you know what I mean? kind of like this;

Understood. But having a keyed switch will not stop anyone from stealing it. It will only stop them from starting it. At least it would stop them for about 5 minutes after they quietly roll it away. This is why we suggested a disk lock. Personally, I use a regular padlock around the rear sprocket.

• chriscasha

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Understood. But having a keyed switch will not stop anyone from stealing it. It will only stop them from starting it. At least it would stop them for about 5 minutes after they quietly roll it away. This is why we suggested a disk lock. Personally, I use a regular padlock around the rear sprocket.

I have that as well. I am buying a disc lock this week as well. I already use a padlock and chain around my rear wheel and swing arm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.