Acerbis gas tank on my 2011.

4 replies to this topic
  • upnorthbacon

Posted July 09, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Needed a larger tank for my next race. I've heard the IMS tanks are great, but about $30 more than the Acerbis so I thought I'd give it a try. It comes with their dual dry break screw off cap. You can buy a gas can and pull the breather tube and it loads onto the cap and pushes down the spring loaded middle section like a normal dry break. I think the gas can was super expensive which might defeat the purpose though? Anyway it fit like a glove, all the hardware transferred over from the stock tank perfectly. I'm very impressed and we'll see how it holds up during my 100 mile enduro this weekend. I can't tell any difference in width and any height is negligible, although I'm hoping I don't ram "The boys" into the top of the cap during hard braking! I'm looking to upgrade to a tall seat eventually so it actually will probably look better with this setup and the tall seat. Excuse the dirty bike and I just changed the oil so that's why the rags are on the ground.

Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by upnorthbacon, July 09, 2012 - 01:32 PM.

• poppa

Posted July 09, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Looks good, how big is it? We run the IMS with the cap, it has held up well, I think it is 2.6 gal. not quite big enough for some 90 min plus a lap races but real close.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • upnorthbacon

Posted July 09, 2012 - 08:27 PM

It's 2.3 gallons. Most Hare Scrambles in my class are less than 50 miles so I should be good from now on. The last two were just over 30 miles and I was afraid I'd run out so I had to stop for gas. I'm racing an enduro this weekend that has 30 mile gas stops and is 100 miles total. We ride some open trails from town to town here as well so I'm hoping to get 50 miles which should be more than enough between stations. I had an IMS on my last YZ250 and it had a rubber gasket diaphram thing that ripped one time when I screwed the cap on. Probably a fluke but put an end to using the tank that day. I called IMS and they immediately sent me a new one overnight though, good company.

Edited by upnorthbacon, July 09, 2012 - 08:29 PM.

• mxracer247

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:20 PM

looks good. I just put a clarke on my 2012. I am going to taylor park in colorado for a week in august, and plan on doing some 70+ mile rides between gas stops. the clarke was not a perfect fit I had to file out the hole in the mounting bracket in the back of the tank. I went with the clarke because i wanted the most capacity it is 3.4 capacity. I got a good deal on the clarke at 170.00. The only reason I got it that cheap was because the bike shop ordered a clear one and they sent black so they gave me more of a discount. The clark fit good to the fuel pump and all the other mounting holes fit nice.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:19 PM

looks good. I just put a clarke on my 2012. I am going to taylor park in colorado for a week in august, and plan on doing some 70+ mile rides between gas stops. the clarke was not a perfect fit I had to file out the hole in the mounting bracket in the back of the tank. I went with the clarke because i wanted the most capacity it is 3.4 capacity. I got a good deal on the clarke at 170.00. The only reason I got it that cheap was because the bike shop ordered a clear one and they sent black so they gave me more of a discount. The clark fit good to the fuel pump and all the other mounting holes fit nice.

Sorry for the hijack, but can you show a pic of your Clarke on the bike? I have searched the net and other than the Clarke site, which does not show much, I cannot find a pic of that tank on the yz.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.