Weird stuff inside WR450 waterpump....Ideas?

1 reply to this topic
  • MT-01

Posted July 09, 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hi Guys,

During Stripdown of my 07 WR450 I came across this weird stuff inside the Cooling system, Specifically inside the water pump housing and on the impeller itself. It comes off quite easily and leaves a slight stain on the material underneath. The oil is spotlessly clean and the coolant was to, except for some floaties that were a similar colour...The only thing I can compare it too is some type of mould or algae or moss....

The bike has travelled well over 20,000 Brutal K's without missing a beat and has only ever been run on Yamaha Coolant and de-mineralised water.....It has not been ridden in 2 years and has been sitting inside a dry
shed for that time?? The motor feels strong and still kicks over 2nd or 3rd kick every time. The bike has been through some pretty hardcore conditions but I have religiously maintained it....Oil changed every 2nd or 3rd ride or 500K's, Oil filter every 2nd oil change and air filter cleaned every ride. Coolant is 2 years old and did 1 ride before being parked for 2 years....Water pump housing was removed approx 3 years ago to check impeller freeplay and this stuff wasn't there then....There is no evidence of this stuff in either of the radiators but a small amount in the waterpipe that connects to the top of the waterpump.

I must add that the Coolant overflow system was removed the first day I bought the bike and has been setup like a YZ with a simple drain ever since. I mostly ride in very wet muddy forrests with temperatures between 5 - 25c but have ridden in very hot dry areas too.

Anyone ever seen something like this before and any ideas what it is???
I'm looking forward to your thought's :devil:

Cheers,
Pat

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:36 AM

My guess is the same as yours, Mold of some sort. Probably started growing during the 2 years it sat in storage. Was there much of this stuff found?
Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.