1999 WR400...for $800...is this a good deal?

8 replies to this topic
  • Koko

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Looking to get the best deal I can. I don't mind having to work on a bike to get it going. But I don't want to be walking into an entire engine overhaul. I've always wanted a WR...

http://newlondon.cra...3103769548.html

I also have a line on a 2001 YZ426 for $1000. This one is running. I'm planning to trail ride only, no MX.

Thoughts? Just figured I'd open it up to the professionals here.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:51 PM

800-1000 for a bike... let's be honest.. you are going to have to do something. No reason why you can't just fix it. You may have to put another 6-700 bucks into it to redo the top end and fix some other things.

If that is in your budget, then check it out thoroughly and pull the trigger if the bottom end sounds good and there are no cracks in the frame.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:43 AM

Well, everything being equal, the WR will make a better trail bike than the YZ. But it's up to you to look them over and figure out which one is the better deal.
Maniac

• Koko

Posted July 09, 2012 - 05:01 AM

That was my thought. Plus it has the headlight/tailight. Not that I ride much in the dark but it's nice insurance. I did read that the YZF426 is a good trail bike with some flywheel weights and a sprocket combo change.

What scares me on the wr is the carb slide. the repair itself is fine, i'm just more nervous that it may have shattered and found it's way to the cylinder head, wreaking all sorts of havoc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Koko

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Just looking for a bit more feedback. Wondering if I should pick up the Yzf426, that runs but is $200 more. Or should I get this WR400 as a project bike? Should the carb issue scare me?

Here's a couple pictures of YZF426

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Koko, July 10, 2012 - 06:31 AM.

• mattfidaho

Posted July 10, 2012 - 12:55 PM

isnt the 01 yzf one that has the decompression valve?

If I remember right the one I had was either 00 or 01, and was the last year of the 426 and the decompression valve..

if everything was running right on the one I had it ran well, it could be a real bugger to start at times with pulling the decomp lever, then moving it to TDC, then slightly past, then kicking... might be something to keep in mind..
I did like mine for sand riding, but it was geared too tall for much trail riding, (around here)

If it were me I think I would still go with the yzf all things considered, at least you are starting with a running platform.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 10, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Just looking for a bit more feedback. Wondering if I should pick up the Yzf426, that runs but is $200 more. Or should I get this WR400 as a project bike? Should the carb issue scare me?

Here's a couple pictures of YZF426

Actually, when you factor in the larger tank on the wr as well as the skid plate and hand guards, the WR is the better deal.

Don't be afraid of carb issues.

Which one sounds and rides the best? Both will need a new piston first chance you get.

• Koko

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Which one sounds and rides the best? Both will need a new piston first chance you get.

That's what worries me. I'd be buying the wr without hearing it run. The yz I could hear run. I'm just afraid that the carb could be the dreaded slider failure leading to cylinder scoring. That's what where I get a worried. A wr would fit my needs better as I'll be trail riding. But I've read that fly wheel weights and sprocket change on the yz make it happy on the trails.

Wish I had more budget but I'm trying to stay a $1000 or under.

Found this one too...it's real close to me...but I think I should walk away.

http://worcester.cra...3129914771.html
'

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:05 PM

That's what worries me. I'd be buying the wr without hearing it run. The yz I could hear run. I'm just afraid that the carb could be the dreaded slider failure leading to cylinder scoring. That's what where I get a worried. A wr would fit my needs better as I'll be trail riding. But I've read that fly wheel weights and sprocket change on the yz make it happy on the trails.

Wish I had more budget but I'm trying to stay a $1000 or under.

Found this one too...it's real close to me...but I think I should walk away.

http://worcester.cra...3129914771.html
'

You gotta hear the WR run. Regarding the carb slide problem... I seriously, seriously doubt that is the problem. I've never heard or seen a carb slide break and damage the cylinder. You can easily look in the carb and see the slide. Just pull back the air boot. The guy selling the WR has to get it to run. If its just a carb cleaning, then that's 30 minutes at most. Ask him..

Both bikes look ridden. So if they ran for the previous owners, they will run for you. Both bikes are very reliable when working.

I would go with the one that sounds the best when its running. If you go by looks, then get the YZ. I say that not because the wr is dirty, I say that because the yz has the orignal plastic on it and the side panels do not look twisted and mangled. So someone didn't drop it as often or did a little maintenance to keep it up.

On the yz though, you will have to get skid plate, flywheel weight and most importantly, the 2002 yz426 cam with the decompression pin. Not a big deal.

Oh.. the bike with the bent valves... something is seriously wrong there. Obviously, its happened more than once. Stay away from that one and don't even look at it.

Edited by mauricedorris, July 10, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.