08 yz450f basket case

7 replies to this topic
  • cgard

Posted July 08, 2012 - 04:52 PM

I just picked up an 08 yz450f with the motor locked up in the
I got it withe the topend apart and looks like one of the cam journals is gualed up pretty bad on one side. The bottom end was still in the bike when I bought it. I pulled it out gettin reafy to take it to my mechanic. Is ir worth my time and effort to mess with this thing or am I just going to b wasting my time and money. I got it for under 1k so I know I have
some "wiggle" room

• ekulb14

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:38 PM

depends how much "wiggle" you have. you could just get a whole new engin for around a 1500 on e bay.

• LukeYZ426F

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:42 PM

08 450 under 1k and your worried you wont make money havin to build the motor? i need to come buy bikes in kansas because down here an 08 fofiddy would go from 3500-4k depending on condition and such..

• CR250_182

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:45 PM

08 450 under 1k and your worried you wont make money havin to build the motor? i need to come buy bikes in kansas because down here an 08 fofiddy would go from 3500-4k depending on condition and such..

yeah and like the other guy said you can get a new engine for around $1500 on eBay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CalKirley

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like an oiling failure. When oil stops flowing, the cam journals and lobes are usually the first to go. However, it sounds like the motor had a pretty severe oiling problem wether it was run dry or the oil pump gave out. Plan on having the cylinder replated, a new piston, and a new cylinder head. The rod might be damaged a little as well, but the chances are lower. If the brass is worn off of the inside of the little end of the rod, time for a new one. If the lobes of the cam are a bluish purple or a black, you need new ones.

The cylinder head might be repairable, but I haven't looked into it. You might be able to have someone reweld it and then machine it down back to factory specs.

• cgard

Posted July 09, 2012 - 06:59 PM

most likley oil related...when i proceeded to pull the bottom end from the frame i noticed oil pooling in the skid plate, checked for a drain plug in my bag O' nuts and bolts and other misc, and no drain plug to be found. Problem solved? most likley not, but i am having the head machined (dropped it off today) and it seemed like no problem to the welder doing it. i left him the cam wich does need to b replaces btw so when they machine they b b at factory specs.Bottom end going to midwest motorsports tomorrow to acces the $$$$damage$$$$ will keep ya posted

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2012 - 06:36 AM

... If the brass is worn off of the inside of the little end of the rod, time for a new one.

There's no brass in the small end of a YZ450F rod. The pin runs directly in the steel eye bore. The head can be rebuilt. Contact either Engine Dynamics or Millennium Technologies. Usually only takes about $250 to fix this kind of problem.

If the engine was locked up, it was more than likely the crank that did it (rod bearing), but it may have been the piston, too. Adding things up, you might be better off finding a used engine to go with it.

• cgard

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am having a local machine shop do it that does head work on the side. The cylinder looks good no gauling,smooth as a button thinkin it is a crank bearing or maybe a mainbearing

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.