Gearing Question for a 650L

4 replies to this topic
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted October 30, 2003 - 03:40 PM

I have a 650L and ride the very rocky woods of northern PA. My gearing right now is 14/47 I would like to gear it lower because it seems when im on the trails 1st gear is fine but when i shift to 2nd its way too tall. I talked to some of the local shops in my area and they recomended to go bigger on the rear sprocket they said if i would go to a 13t front it would cause premature chain wear and would gear it too low. :)

Just wanted to get your guys opinion on this. Also if you recomend doing this what size rear sprocket should i get 50t,51t,or 52t

• MotoChris521

Posted November 01, 2003 - 07:19 PM

I ran 14/48 on my last L the whole 4 years i owned it.It was a tad too low for the street(would cruise at 55).I wouldn't go 13 on the countershaft(lotsa wear problems).I would try maybe a fifty on the rear.Your going to lose a lot of top end but if your looking for goat trail gearing.................... :)
ps. with 14/48 i could almost stop in second and idle around a turn and take off with out the clutch,it totally eliminated the first to second ( L ) gap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted November 02, 2003 - 04:49 PM

Thanx alot for the info!!!! I will try a 50t for the trails and then switch it to the stock 45t for on the roads. :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted November 02, 2003 - 06:40 PM

For mostly off roading and very little on road, 14-48 or 14-50 should do it. How low is too low? Depends on how much top end you can live without.

My buddy the Sheriff has the 13-45 combo on his 02 L and he has over 5K miles on it without any abnormal wear on the drivetrain.

I have the stock gearing and it's not good for anything except the pavement. I'm installing a 14-tooth countershaft sprocket just as soon as a wear down these stock TW "slicks" and throw on some new Pirelli MT 21's, especially the 130/90-18 rear. :)

• Ed_Buratti

Posted November 04, 2003 - 04:39 AM

I have an XR650l and I left the gearing stock. I found that 2nd seems too high for slow stuff, but you have to get used to running the engine at those speeds. I find that 2nd gear with a little clutch here and there is perfect for tight woods. I almost never have to shift. By the way, where do you ride? I'm also from northern Pa. We should get together for a good trail ride.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.