I bought my slip on off ebay for $159.99 from mxoverstock (his ebay name) he sells only DG pipes and is the only seller on ebay currently listing them.
DG "O" vs. DG "R"
- First if you are reading this because you are considering buying the DG pipe I want to warn you.. this pipe is LOUD, VERY LOUD. It sound amazing it makes my little 350 sound like atleast a piped XR650. It's very throaty and deep and gives it that true thumper sound. However, I am very concerned about getting a ticket when riding in town. Just keep that in mind if you see a lot of police where you typically ride.
- Here is a youtube video of a DRZ400 with the DG-R sip on.. this gives you an idea how loud it is.. it pretty much sounds exactly the same.
- I talked to DG three times, yes three because everytime I would call them I would get a different answer in regard to jetting. As far as is there a real difference betwean the O or R pipe the answer is yes and no.
-Performance wise DG reported that both pipes rated the same on the dyno
-Sound wise the R pipe which stands for "round" not racing can have a baffle installed for an additional $30. In my opinion it's not worth it most report only a -2db rating with the baffle. It may get you AMA legal though at 96db
-I opted for the O which is "oval" pipe. I chose this because it had the easy to remove spark arrester for cleaning and repacking and the machined aluminum end cap looks bulletproof.
Jetting after the pipe was installed
- My bike was completely stock but had a flat UNI double filter "red on the outside and yellow on the inner filter"
- I removed the snorkle from the airbox but did not drill any holes.
- I am at 2,750 feet and ride up to 6,000+ in a single ride.
- Temp here now is 85-95f degrees with possible 100+ as we move into summer
- Humidity is near 0% as I live in the hot boise desert.
- at my altitude I tried to run the stock 125 jet and stock 42 pilot but after just one spin around the block I was WAAAAAY lean... stripped the bike down before riding again.
Here's my current Jetting setup with the DG "O" slip on
- 145 Main (keihin round) in primary carb. Dont waste your time going to yamaha for a jet they dont have anything avaliable anymore. Use these instead: http://www.jetsrus.c...ound_28-xxx.htm
- 106 stock main in secondary
- Shimmed primary needle with one eyelit from a red round electrical connector (read around if you aren't sure what I'm refering to.) See picture: http://i50.photobuck...ctor-380881.jpg
- 44 Pilot jet in primary carb. I can't believe how lucky I was to get this jet, I rummaged through a huge bin of jets at a local motorcycle salvage yard and found this bad boy.. sorry I wish I could say you could order but I got lucky. Most are drilling out their pilots I think I've managed to avoid having to.
- 2 1/4 turn out on my pilot screw
** This setup works very well for where I am at, I have not had any surging issues or backfiring. I spent about 15 minutes tunning the low end of the pilot circuit getting my idle set and roll off idle dialed in. What I did was turned the pilot screw in to just one turn out which puts the circuit in a "lean condition." I set the idle high with the choke pulled out and then I worked the choke in and out as the bike would try to stall because it was getting to lean. Just slowly back out the pilot screw 1/4 turn at a time until it idles without the choke on.. then set proper idle. Once you have it idling snap the throttle and roll it on and off listening for pops which means you are still a little lean, adjust the pilot screw accordingly. I'm idling right about 1700-1750 which is just where I like it.. not sure what the book recommends.
** I still think I'm just a tad lean at WOT. I did some runs today out in BLM land at WOT and my electrode is a little whiter then brown. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 147.5 and 150 and see what happens. With how good my mid range is I'm not planning to shim the needle again unless it starts to give me issues.
If you are riding or just bought a stock XT350 and you are sorely disappointed in the perfomance as I was.... this will bring the bike to life! I honestly was amazed at how much performance this pulled out of the bike, before I got the pipe and started jetting I was already looking at DRZ-400's anticipating my title arrival so I could dump the XT. I will say I love the bike now, it's still no DRZ but it rips. I'm stock gearing 19/55 and I just put brand new Mechilen T63's on it and I couldn't be happier. Only thing I really plan to do next is a 520 chain conversion and go up one tooth in the front as now it has enough power to push 75mph with ease.
Hope this helps someone out, there's a lot of threads about supertrapp jetting but non on the DG. Even though these bikes are pushing 30 years old they are still kicking around here and there.. not sure if mine was recently rebuilt but it had 9k miles and 122 compression so I got lucky!
Edited by SledParty, 06 July 2012 - 10:36 PM.