wr450's may wanna check this

So i'm working on my bike after my last crash and decide to look at the starter gears since there has been so much talk about the 04 setup.I pull the cover off and see a broken piece in my side cover :D I don't know what happend but it looks like a mount in the ignition cover broke that held a shaft for one of the gears to ride on. I pulled the e-start off my bike for now and will get the 04 parts when they are available.Till then my bike is a kicker and may stay that way ? I had the hole for the starter welded and took out the starter gears.I took it out for a few miles to day and everything worked fine.

Here are the pics:

fab34f42.jpg

fab34f36.jpg

i have the same problem. it is as if you took pictures of my parts! it looks like when the flywheel is tight and the idler gear doesn't slip, the next weak link is the side cover holding the idler gear 2 shaft. i had no problems with the bike. no indication that anything was broken. i pulled the cover to put in the "new and improved" idler gear 1 and there it was. i bet there are alot of wr's out there with the same problem. check the end of the splined starter shaft. i bet it looks pretty beat up, mine does. the area yamaha rep was not aware of this problem, so he's not in any hurry to help. no suprise there. i wonder if a couple hundred letters to the customer relations department would wake yamaha up!

to the guys that are concerned about the retrofit of the '04 gear in the '03 side cover. anybody with a lathe should be able to make the bronze bushing required. making a plug with o ring groove to fill the starter hole shouldn't be problem either.

mtrablue

I had no problems that I knew of either. That’s why I posted it's easy to check and could save a headache. I had my starter hole welded since the side cover was busted anyways. It cost 10 bucks here is a shot of it.

fab17bcd.jpg

And here is an added benefit. I still need to hook up a more permanent ground.

fab17bd1.jpg

Yeah Dave,

The tool kit that comes with our Yamahas is for working on our buddies orange bikes when they break down on the trail! I will make sure to bring it on our Tennessee ride this month! :D You always have to get the last word in dont you Dave. ?