400 hard to start?

3 replies to this topic
  • Tevonini

Posted July 03, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Are yz/wr 400's hard to start? As hard as a 426? Do you still use the same procedure?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:32 PM

They start the same as the 426, but the older carbs make them fussier about getting everything right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marv02

Posted July 03, 2012 - 06:44 PM

My 426 is very easy to start you can start it with just gym shoes on with 1 kick hot or cold.

It the set up if your willing to put a Hotcam and get the carb jetting right they can be a very user friendly bike to have.

Before I put the Hotcams in the bike I had to do the put the motor on TDC give a good kick it would fire up but you had to go though cycle the motor though with the compression lever in until you found TDC.

You dont have to now but I still do out of habit but you dont have to use the decompression leaver if you dont want to.

Your other choices buy a newer bike or buy one with a E/S button.

Edited by marv02, July 03, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

• LILBIT

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:26 PM

My 400 started outstandingly well if you followed the procedure. Jetting to suit of course. Almost impossible if done incorrectly.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.