06 wr450 suspension setup

2 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted July 03, 2012 - 08:10 AM

How do I go about setting up my suspension better? It is way too soft and bottoms out front and rear off a 2 foot drop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted July 03, 2012 - 10:33 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...uspension wr450

And the first link, very top of the page...

• Navaho6

Posted July 03, 2012 - 10:59 AM

If you want to get your suspension working really well, send it off to a tuner to get reworked. Factory Connection has a lot of experience with these forks because of their dealings with the AmPro Yamaha team.

If you want to do the work yourself:
Step 1. Change your springs? Unless you are 150lbs or lighter, the oem springs are too soft.

I am 165 lbs and have increased my spring weights twice. I am using a 0.48kg and 0.50kg spring combo in the forks. Oem was 0.45kg. 0.47 was too soft.

I am using a 5.7kg shock spring. Oem is 5.3kg. 5.5 was too soft.

Step 2. First I recommend you buy RaceTech's "Suspension Bible" and read the first few chapters.
Forks: Buy a fork oil measuring tool. Change fork oil to 10wt. Set the oil height (aka air chamber) to 110mm with your new tool. Turn up your compression on the forks (clockwise) until you like the results or if the ride gets harsh then back off. You may have to back off a few clicks (counterclockwise) on the rebound with the heavier oil.

Shock: Turn up the low speed compression, and if necessary, the high speed compression. If the back end starts to float up on jumps, back off the high speed compression. Small adjustments make a big difference on the high speed compression.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.