False neutral between 2nd and 3rd again.

3 replies to this topic
  • fraser

Posted July 03, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Ok, last year my 2010 started jumping into a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd. Despite being told it was all user error I understand its a fairly common problem on this bike. I replaced the selector and 2nd and 3rd gears which seemed to solve the problem. However its gradually got worse again to the point where its happening quite a lot and getting more and more frequent. A couple of times its done it on the face of jumps which is scary as..
So, its time to open up the gearbox again as I've got a few weeks clear of races coming up and plan to install the DR.D relocation kit at the same time. The 2012 has the two modified selectors I believe which are a straight replacement for the 2010. Despite MXA saying this was not a cure and the problem still happens, has anyone else upgraded to the new selectors and found an improvement? Not sure if I'll find any wear on the gears yet, but also its quite stiff to shift so I'm wondering whether I'll need to replace the shift drum as well?

• marv02

Posted July 03, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Just me i would not ride it if jumps into a false neutral.

I had a buddy that hit a false neutral going on a jump face made him endo and the bike foot peg went though his helmet and tore half his ear off they sewed back on but still you can tell something happened to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ka24s14am

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:01 PM

I can't tell you much about the insides of the engine, but I was having the same problem on my 2012. For me it was user error. I took the foot shifter off and turned it down one notch. I havn't hit false neutral since. If you havn't tried that yet I would give it a shot before opening the engine up.

• fraser

Posted July 06, 2012 - 01:16 AM

Yeah thanks. I've tried that

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.