2 Stroke Oil: Castrol GTX 10-30W. Any good?

11 replies to this topic
  • Maxxed0ut

Posted June 30, 2012 - 12:21 PM

• the gas station didnt have much of a selection today so i ended up with some Castrol GTX 10-30W oil

• im changin the oil in my bike. this any good?

• also ill be usin this to mix my gas.

• Slick_Nick

Posted June 30, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Do not use it in either your premix or your transmission. I mean, it will probably be ok in your transmission, but synthetic oils don't play nice with wet clutches. Jus steer clear.

• Local13Ridez

Posted June 30, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I used to use standard engine oil in my 2 stroke husky and it was never a problem. I never used it as a premix oil with the gas though. Let us know how it works out.

• Maxxed0ut

Posted June 30, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Im taking back the Castrol and getting some JASO-MA certified oil. and 'm going to continue to use Havoline 2 Cycle oil (I'll just get some offline) for gas.

• timmyp8823

Posted June 30, 2012 - 12:49 PM

Just buy some ATF for the tranny,and order some quality premix.

• lookntoride

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:18 PM

• the gas station didnt have much of a selection today so i ended up with some Castrol GTX 10-30W oil
  • im changin the oil in my bike. this any good?
  • also ill be usin this to mix my gas.

Shell Rotella T-6 or the non synthetic is good for the transmission.
I would not recommend using anything but 2 stroke oil in the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CamP

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:05 PM

If you are going to use auto oil, be sure to run 10w40, or heavier.

10w30 auto oils have friction modifiers that can cause wet clutchs to slip.

10w40, and heavier, oils do not contain these friction modifiers.

• maxamillion125

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Do not use it in either your premix or your transmission. I mean, it will probably be ok in your transmission, but synthetic oils don't play nice with wet clutches. Jus steer clear.

KTM recommends 10w30 standard synthetic motorcycle oil. The best oil you could put in the gearbox is 10w30 fully-synthetic V spec stuff, that is fully ester based.

• brianadams731

Posted July 01, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I dono about putting it in the transmission but I definitely would avoid using that as premix

• Maxxed0ut

Posted July 02, 2012 - 01:08 PM

im going to continue using havoline 2 stroke oil as premix.
im gonna get some shell rotella 9 as tranny oil.
i brought back the castrol.

• Mikel.Laundry

Posted July 02, 2012 - 01:14 PM

KTM recommends 10w30 standard synthetic motorcycle oil. The best oil you could put in the gearbox is 10w30 fully-synthetic V spec stuff, that is fully ester based.

v spec. do you meen v twin type stuff for street bikes? i bought moil 1 10w 30 v twin oil and i couldnt get my bike to move at all ! i havent seen anyhting like it ! i put it into gear and i got a clunk then a no go drained it and put atf in it and boom she goes!

• 1987CR250R

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Dirt bike transmissoins are so unsensitive to transmission oil (especially the Japanese bikes). Just change it regularly. If you're ever hard up for oil, grab some ATF as it is specifically formulated for use in transmissions with wet clutches.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What Have You Done To Your KTM Today? by Rider 41

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   KTM 2-Stroke
  • Hot  3,596 replies
Forums
Photo

My 2001 KX 250 build by smv ryder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  369 replies
Forums
Photo

Strait to a 250 2t? by tombom

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

15 crf450 vs 15 yz450 by Emkjr93

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.