Washington

Wolf's reintroduced to Mt St Helens/Gifford Pinchot National Forest area

222 replies to this topic
  • Angliagasser

Posted June 28, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Beware when riding the Gifford Pinchot National Forest near Mt St Helens these days. Rumor has it that "60" wolfs were released one night, so no one would notice, around My St Helens! This is coming from one of the guys that drove one of the trucks the wolfs were in. Just thought you guys would like to know. This was a huss huss deal by the state to help take care of the elk population around Mt St Helens. But do you really think the wolfs are going to stay in Mt St Helens area.
I was told years ago that the anti-hunters can not stop us from hunting, but if the animal population get real low then they will be able too, and to do that all they have to do is reintroduce the wolfs and get the cougar and bear population up. Well since the stopping of using hounds to hunt bear and cougar the population of them is booming now.
I know, to some of you on here, you could care less about hunting by reading that you have wrote in the past. But I thought that the rest of you might be interested in this.

Edited by Angliagasser, June 28, 2012 - 11:49 AM.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 28, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Beware when riding the Gifford Pinchot National Forest near Mt St Helens these days. Rumor has it that "60" wolfs were released one night, so no one would notice, around My St Helens! This is coming from one of the guys that drove one of the trucks the wolfs were in. Just thought you guys would like to know. This was a huss huss deal by the state to help take care of the elk population around Mt St Helens. But do you really think the wolfs are going to stay in Mt St Helens area.
I was told years ago that the anti-hunters can not stop us from hunting, but if the animal population get real low then they will be able to and to do that all they have to do is reintroduce the wolfs and get the cougar and bear population up. Well since the stopping of using hounds to hunt bear and cougar the population of them is booming now.
I know to some of you on here you could care less about hunting by reading that you have wrote in the past. But I thought that the rest of you might be interested in this.

I completely sympathize with you on this issue. Too bad we can't bring the politicians up on murder charges or reckless endangerment when the first human is killed or maimed by these wolves. They will be directly responsible but you know what their response will be. Humans cannot go into the woods they are not indigenous to the woods. In fact they will tell us the human species is not indigenous to the planet but was left here by alien visitors long ago. :ride: If only the aliens would come back and take our politicians back to where they belong. :devil:

Edited by Old_Man_Time, June 28, 2012 - 11:01 AM.

• Lngbeard

Posted June 28, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Say good bye to the St Helens elk herd.

• Lincolnlock

Posted June 28, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Guess I'll be purchasing that hand gun. Seriously? Wolves? I thought running into a bear a couple weeks ago while clearing trail was scary. Wolves..... :devil:

• motomike111

Posted June 28, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

• waycrazy1

Posted June 28, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I thought bringing in 60 wolves in a area that already has a pack in it was strange . So I researched a little ,I didnt find any info that would confirm or deny.
All though I did find this a interesting read.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00001/

As far as the wolf population in Washington is concerned I agree with Motomike.

• drz103

Posted June 28, 2012 - 01:43 PM

I will say one thing about this there is wolfs in another area very close in dont know how they got there just north & east of Sunset falls. i have seen them at least 2 adults and 6-7 cubs. I first saw the cubs thinking it was a pack of coyote's was getting ready to give one of them one of my arrows when mom walked out let me tell you they are huge thank god she didnt see or smell me i think i may not have walked out that day. then the 2nd one walked out then they went down the hill in to the draw that my camp was in. I am not the only one that has seen them in this area either i know of 2 other close friends that are in that area almost as much as i am. As for the wild life they have basically took all the deer and elk and either ate them or have pushed them out of the area that had 3-4 herds of at least 12 to 15 head every year tell the last 3 years now you cant find them because they are just simply gone. It will not take long and the St. Helens herds will start to show a loss. As for packing i do every day that i am in the woods or even thinking of being in the woods i never did pack while on my dual sport but the last 3 years yes i do now.

Vern Jr.
The cougars have been getting a very good population going as well in this area i speak of, the bears have always been showing a growth as well just very elusive.

• Angliagasser

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:14 PM

I thought bringing in 60 wolves in a area that already has a pack in it was strange . So I researched a little ,I didnt find any info that would confirm or deny.
All though I did find this a interesting read.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00001/

As far as the wolf population in Washington is concerned I agree with Motomike.

I did a search also and could not find anything that said it has been done. The only thing I found was this, http://www.valleybug...com/tag/wolves/ read the beginning of the thrid paragraph. This was in Dec. 2011. I found something else that was posted in June 2012, but for some reason I can not find it again? Like I said in the first post this was from one of the guys that drove one of the truck that delivered the wolfs there at night. It was all huss huss from what I was told. Luckly this guy is a hunter and not for bringing the wolfs back, but it was his job. Just goes to show you, you never really know who is working for you!

As for the three S's Shoot Shovel, and Shut-up. There is a problem there, do not shoot a collard wolf. Those collars sence the wolf's temperature, and if it changes by as little as three degrees it sends a transmission to a satellite and they know within seconds that something is wrong and on a clear day they can look to see who is in the area. I know this sounds out there, but they can figure out who and where you are. I was told this by someone that used to work for the defence department.

Edited by Angliagasser, June 28, 2012 - 02:14 PM.

• bowhunter007

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

+1 motomike has seen my hip-mounted ride-along. It's big, loud, and can bring down a deer sized critter out to 100 yds with ease. Wolves are a dangerous predater. There's a large coyote population in that area, do to the amount of available food. That will soon change, as wolves won't tollerate food competitors. They will harrass cougars, bears, and flat out kill anything elk sized and smaller. With the large numbers of people that travel through that backcountry, wolves are gonna get some easy meals, since most treehuggers think guns are an archaic means of self-defence. I'll surely have mine. I'm willing to bet the authorities will be keeping a close eye on this...NOT to protect the general public at large, but to protect the wolves. I would not recommend even pointing a sharp stick in the direction of one, unless one is visualizing you on a platter, with a roasted apple sticking out of your mouth. I do a lot of predater hunting just east of St. Helens, I'm bound to call in one or two eventually.

Edited by bowhunter007, June 28, 2012 - 02:35 PM.

• jacko711

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:51 PM

As for the three S's Shoot Shovel, and Shut-up. There is a problem there, do not shoot a collard wolf. Those collars sence the wolf's temperature, and if it changes by as little as three degrees it sends a transmission to a satellite and they know within seconds that something is wrong and on a clear day they can look to see who is in the area. I know this sounds out there, but they can figure out who and where you are. I was told this by someone that used to work for the defence department.

While the technology does exist to watch you from space; the resources involved to make it happen pretty much ensure that only top level organizations get to use it. the game and fish or whoever watches the wolves doesn't get that kind of support. normally that stuff is reserved for guys with $20 million bounties on their head from the government. you also have to wait for the satellite's orbit to take it over the intended target area.

generally the collars are "hibernating" for most of the day. they are programmed to "wake up" at set times and transmit info then go back to into hibernation. this conserves battery life. some of them have pretty good battery life though (years) here's a link to one brands spec sheet.

http://www.telemetry...GPS_Collars.pdf

Edited by jacko711, June 28, 2012 - 06:57 PM.

• BaddAndy

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:09 PM

I saw a wolf last year while Jeeping on top of Manashtash Ridge where Tip Over and MR trails intersect. They're heeeeere!

Edited by BaddAndy, June 28, 2012 - 07:10 PM.

• Burnrider

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:12 PM

So it's back to camping close to the outhouse?

• campdirt

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:50 PM

say goodbye to tent camping, thanks liberal's

• vsekvsek

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Don't break down.

• campdirt

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:05 PM

i guess it's cheaper to have wolves chase us out of the woods than employ more human staff and make up laws.

• campdirt

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:06 PM

i guess it's cheaper to have wolves chase us out of the woods than employ more human staff and make up laws.

• campdirt

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:07 PM

• motomike111

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:35 PM

One small thing we have going for us is that Idaho and Montana have already fought and won the right to manage the wolves on their own. It took way too long but they were successful none the less. So hopefully Washington will be able manage the packs on it's own in a timely manner, and allow legal population control before they really screw things up. But who know's with our state....

**Also, if you come across wolf scat, don't touch it, smell it or even step on it. Wolves carry a lot of nasty diseases and worms in them.

• joeh

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:54 PM

W T F ???????????

They just had 60 wolves lying around to release???

SSS is right, there are no satelite's watching the wolves every move...

A bunch of internet BS!

Edited by joeh, June 28, 2012 - 08:55 PM.

• Slackkinhard

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:13 AM

Just gives us more reason to buy guns. :devil:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.