Pulling a rotor

3 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted October 29, 2003 - 11:03 AM

I am attempting to upgrade my wattage out-put on my '98 Wr400.

I bought a take-off from BajaDesigns (probably paid WAY too much. $180.00 for the stator off of a '00 WR) and I pulled the left-side cover last night, and I don't have sepcial tool #Yam-Piece-'O-Crud_rotorstopper.

Will a strap wrench work? I tried putting it in gear, and standing on the rear brake, but the rotor kept turning.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• kev426

Posted October 29, 2003 - 05:05 PM

I would buy the proper tool. I made my own tool to hold the rotor. It got it off but wasted my stator. The "pins" I made to hold the rotor went in to far and broke the windings on the stator :) It would have cost me less if i had the proper tool.
Or you could try a impact gun :D
Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted October 29, 2003 - 05:15 PM

I used an air impact to remove the nut and strap wrench and brake with bike in gear to tighten it.

• BrandonW

Posted October 30, 2003 - 07:59 AM

Thanks fellas!

I talked to a mechanic at a local shop, and he also stated that an impact wrench was the way to go. So, I got a strap wrench, and put my socket on the retaining nut, and give it a couple of sharp whacks. After about 3 or 4, the nut came spinning off. Then I mounted up my puller, and again, couple of sharp whacks, and the rotor(flywheel?) came off. :)

Hopefully, the new stator will plug right in, and I seal it back up, but something is telling me I have to "wire" it up to the bajadesigns kit that is on the bike.

Might just try to 'by-pass" that until after the race on the 8-9th, (just need power to headlight, handwarmers and helmet-light) and worry about the baja kit later.

Thanks guys!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.