Plating my '03 WR450F with Stock Fender?

10 replies to this topic
  • Rapper1

Posted June 27, 2012 - 04:39 PM


I'd like to find a plate mount, with light, that will fit on the stock rear fender of my 2003 WR 450F. The stock rear light will just be kept as the running light, and the mount should have a break light and some sort of illumination for the plate. Ideally it will mount using the stock mountain holes too.

Any recommendations would be great. Thank you.

  • Alpha One Nine

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:39 PM


The stock tail light fixture is wired for a brake light but the connector on the harness side is not pinned to anything. That's how my 05 is anyway. I just put my pressure switch wires across the main light wire and the brake light wire beyond the connector. I also made a simple plate mount out of aluminum sheet and used the existing mount points on the bottom of the fender. There is not much extra in the way of threads but it's holding ok with blue loctite. I haven't bothered with a plate light yet since I have no plans to ride my WR after dark but it would be a pretty simple addition.

Posted Image

Edited by Alpha One Nine, June 27, 2012 - 05:42 PM.

  • Rapper1

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:42 AM


In Vermont we need a plate light too...I am putting on the switches to activate the brake light, both from the rear brake pedal and also the front lever. Is there a stand alone plate light out there that can be mounted pretty cleanly under the fender that will also stand abuse?

  • allterra

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:57 AM


yes there is are standalone plate lights I have them I just plated my bike and can tell you that you do not need both break switches. only one is required. I will find the package and let you know. Where in VT are you?

  • Rapper1

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:24 AM


The break switch thing is a gray I'd rather just have it actuated by both, no biggie, unless there is an actual draw back to have both.

I'm in the Stowe area. Can you recommend and actual brand? Thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • allterra

Posted June 28, 2012 - 01:04 PM


The break switch thing is a gray I'd rather just have it actuated by both, no biggie, unless there is an actual draw back to have both.

I'm in the Stowe area. Can you recommend and actual brand? Thank you.

K&S or go see Ray Atwood cycles in Bolton on route 2 or Mazers cycles in Essex just off 289 on rt 15. they were $12.00 and are led pn# 2259160 I am from Essex.

  • Rapper1

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:52 PM


Allterra, see my other question on another post regarding the plating procedure.

  • allterra

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:10 PM


as stated in another topic

No prob. My bike came from TX the title said off road only. You need to go to a state inspt location. They will provide you w/an affidavid stating the bike has been converted to be legal for VT roads. take that and your title to DMV and get your temp reg. (I already had insurance and rode mine) then bring the bike to the police or DMV to get the vin verified. once that is done then you can get it inspected. Now you are on the road. come see me and we can hit the trails. Note: there may be a charge if you call them to your location to do the verification.

  • allterra

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:50 AM


Posted Image

this is a pic of my plate lights from thier online catalog I put them in 2 of the mounting holes on the plate. the light is from the slit you see on the side. water proof bright led and about unbreakable.

  • GlennR

Posted June 29, 2012 - 06:43 AM


Will the newer aluminum framed rear fender fit on the earlier bikes? It's a bit more sleek & modern looking, if you care about that.

  • Rapper1

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:30 PM


This is my solution: https://www.denniski....prd/616478.sku

It is pretty slick and comes highly recommended. Anyway, Alterra, my title from MA actually says it is a motorcycle (it does not say, "Not for highway use") so I can skip the first step.

I know in Morristown, I can have the local police stop by and verify for free. So once that is done, I can register, then get it inspected and I'm off....

Look up Vermont Dirt Riders on Facebook...that is the group I ride with (51 members from Chittenden, Washington, Lamoille and Addison county. Check it out.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.